Running: Any tips for someone who would like to take on a running routine for the first time?

rjsams
on 4/14/12 2:13 am - Eagan, MN
Good luck, Carol!  We'll have to compare notes when we are done.

Chickenboob
on 4/14/12 7:40 pm - Rockland, Canada
I just started a learn to run program at the running room. We come in all shapes and sizes and even though I am still just over 200 pounds and pregnant. I am still making progress. I would highly recommend it. All of the rounds of courses build towards an event, which you can participate in or not, as you choose. It's very motivating to have other beginners with you! I actually started with thei fitness walk 4 weeks after my surgery and they tailored it for a few weeks for me, so that I wasn't over doing it.

A good thing to do is find a running buddy. I have my RR cronies and I have people at work who come out with me on Thursday.

You will do great, just don't try to do too much too fast, stay hydrated and do intervals of walking and running. It will keep the latci acid down.

The biggest piece of advice is get proper running shoes, not cross trainers. I had a lot of pain when I started in my knees and hip. The people at the Running room did a gait analysis. I have flat feet and one ankle pronates inward, while the other just moves funny from an untreated break. Now, I have no pain at all. It was like a miracle!

Good luck, stick with it! If I can do it, you can do it!

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

Most Active