Wow...my first day of Krav Maga

Sam LifeNerd
on 4/10/12 5:31 am
 Ok... I am OUT of shape.  Apparently 40-50 minutes on the treadmill at 3.5mph does virtually nothing to actually compare to "hard work!!"   :)

So today I tried my first Krav Maga class... for the first 10 minutes or so, they try to kill you with exercise.  Running, then sideways running, then pushups, crunches, bicycle crunches, crabwalking, bear walking...dieing...oh that was just me.

That gets you "warmed up" so you are NOT ready for the workout!  Really!  The point being that you could get attacked when you are dog tired and panting.

Then we started with the actual punches, then kicks, knee strikes, etc.  You do enough of them in a short period of time you get pretty winded (well...again....me)

I had a good partner for the workout, he has been coming longer, helped me to slow down as needed to catch my breath, etc.

So....it was a GREAT workout!!  My hair was soaked so I was def moving WAY more than the treadmill!!

My only "issue" at the moment is a sore left elbow from punching, probably hyper-extended it a bit.  I maybe REALLY sore in the morning, but hey, this is a good thing!!

So that is my Tuesday workout!!  

I will try and post more in the daily threads, but wanted to say HI here first as well....I had my surgery back in August and so far my exercise has been really tame.  30 min weight circuit and 40-50 minutes on alternate days on the treadmill.

But my weightloss is slowing down and I am now trying to REALLY step up my game here and push through and lose down into the 100s!!  (My low end of Doctors goal is 210 and I am getting close, but I personally want to see a 1 in front of my weight!!)

Sam

sleeved2bfree
on 4/10/12 4:11 pm
VSG on 02/08/12
 I've never heard of that class before, but it sounds great. Did you have fun? I always think its fun when I can push myself that hard, although it doesn't happen that often, lol.
Sam LifeNerd
on 4/10/12 10:13 pm
 Krav Maga is a self defense class, basically instead of a "rule" based system with tournaments, etc. (Karate, Judo, etc), this is a no RULE system specifically designed to keep you safe.

So it includes groin strikes, everything you might need if you were being attacked.  And it is a great workout too!!

I am a bit sore today, but not nearly as bad as I thought I would be!

Mary B.
on 4/11/12 12:38 am - Southern, MD
AWESOME!! 

I have been interested in Krav Maga for years but cant find a place to try it anywhere near me. Years back I took kickboxing (way more than TaeBo, less than actual fight to the death kickboxing) I LOVED IT! Loved being able to beat the hell out of something. I took it at a Karate Dojo. 4x a week. Talk about building muscle and blowing off steam.

Once that class dissolved, I heard about Krav Maga.

Ive also taken some Aikido, Tang Soo Do and Jiu Jitso.

Guess I really am a fighter at heart! 
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Sam LifeNerd
on 4/11/12 12:54 am, edited 4/11/12 12:54 am
 Krav Maga is kinda the current "fad" (Tae Bo, Kickboxing, Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, etc) so they are starting to open up everywhere!

They seem alot like a "cross-training" type of workout to me, you keep jumping from one type of movement to another.

Beats "boring" workouts for sure...I have to watch Netflix when on the treadmill to keep myself from watching the clock.

My next class is tomorrow....the beatings will continue until morale improves!!!   :)

Oh...I was down 2.2 pounds on the scale this morning too!!

MacMadame
on 4/11/12 1:36 am - Northern, CA
I didn't realize Krav Maga was real. I thought it was a joke from that show How I met Your Mother. 

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

javier rosario
on 4/11/12 5:12 am, edited 4/11/12 5:21 am - NJ
  Karv maga is a fighting system developed and used by Israeli special Forces..  its currently  'trending"  the reason i say that is that gyms every couple of years "embrace" a new form of martial art and water it down for classes the average person can do or keep up with.. (karv marga training in its true form is pretty brutal)..so it goes from taekwondo into taebo..Muay Thai into "kick boxing class" and  now Karv marga..   nothing wrong with that at all.. and this type of training will definately churn and burn  (average martial arts workout burns anywhere between 700 to 1500 calories per hour)   far as your hyper extending,  you more then likely are using just your arm when punching and not twisting your hip into your punches..that results in two thing..the hyper extention or that sharp twang like a guitar string pain in your elbow you feel ..and loss of pwer in the punches..  try twisting your body and keeping your elbows close to your body when puching

good to see other members using martial arts  for fitness goals
Most Active