not getting stronger

sleeved2bfree
on 4/4/12 4:20 pm
VSG on 02/08/12
 I have been lifting weights, using weight machines at the gym, since about 3 weeks post op. As soon as the doctor said I could. I am still lifting the same amount of weight. I think my arms LOOK like I gained muscle...but probably just because there is less fat hiding them. I really push myself with the weights, I can never finish my last set. I am using very little weight-the lowest setting. Why am I not approving?

DeathBatCountry
on 4/4/12 9:01 pm
 My guess would be you're not eating enough calories. When lifting weights you need to take in a surplus of calories to help the muscle fiber rebuild bigger. 

I'm AWAKE and I'm ALIVE! 
nate2009
on 4/4/12 9:12 pm - Lebanon, OH
During the weight loss stage you are lifting to try and keep muscle you have. Almost impossible to gain strength and muscle while you are so restricted in cals. Keep at it though,you will be so much happier in the end.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
DeathBatCountry
on 4/4/12 9:46 pm
 Nate
I'm curious what your workout routine looks like? I'm 2.5 years out have been working out regularly except recently and just struggle to gain any muscle. You look like you're having a good amount of success while maintaining a low body fat % still. 

I'm AWAKE and I'm ALIVE! 
Kim S.
on 4/4/12 11:59 pm - Helena, AL
Exactly what Nate said.  I lifted the entire time I was losing, and while I got some definition, I really didn't build a lot of strengh.  The strengh came after maintenance and then I was able to significantly increase the amount of weight I use.

Use higher weight, less reps.  You should select a weight that will allow you to do 8-10 reps with the last 3 really wasting you.  And you don't have to use the same weight for everything:  I use 20 lbs for biceps, 10 for triceps and 15 for shoulder work (that is free weights-not Nautilus machines...haven't used the machine in so long, I'm not sure what I'd use there..........)

You are doing the right thing by making exercise a priority in your journey. 

sleeved2bfree
on 4/5/12 12:57 pm
VSG on 02/08/12
 Thank you! I bet you are right, I am not taking in enough to build anything yet. Losing the fat is the main goal right now, but the lack of improvement was getting me down. The cardio gets better every day. I really appreciate your imput !
MacMadame
on 4/5/12 1:07 pm - Northern, CA
 Also, the machines at the gym are a very inefficient way to do strength training as they work on 1 or 2 muscle groups in isolate. Try doing squat and lunges, thrusters, turkish get-ups, etc. and I bet you see better progress.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

sleeved2bfree
on 4/5/12 4:00 pm
VSG on 02/08/12
 I have been doing lunges and squats, just looked up the other two exersizes you mentioned. I will try to add those...look really hard. I am doing the couch to 5k program but repeating week 3 again because the last run of that group I keep quiting 20 seconds short. I am also trying the 100 push up program, trying to lift weights, hiking on the weekends, and trying to throw in a swim once a week. I also walk on most of my breaks at work. Once a week, I take a day off. I am not working the same muscle group two days in a row. I can definently see improvement in how fast and far I can go...but my upper body just seems so weak and not getting better. I will keep trying, doing all I can. 
mcarthur01
on 4/6/12 4:52 am - Cumming, GA
yep what they said... try not to get frustrated, i worked very hard just to minimize muscle loss, after your serious weight loss period is over, you will thank yourself for putting in the effort.  keep it up!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Rusty E.
on 4/8/12 1:42 am - NV
 Kim is right. Higher weight and less reps are what build strength. Less weight and higher reps is great for conditioning and toning yet does not necessarily build overall strength. 

The standard is around three sets of 10-12 reps to build muscle. 

I am working toward some strength goals myself (300 lb bench) if my body will hold out. Good luck. 

Rusty
Most Active