Help please

Heidi T.
on 4/4/12 1:23 pm
RNY on 01/31/12
Okay I have been doing my best to incorporate more and more exercise into my daily life.  Today alone I walked almost 5 miles.  However, I am getting scared, I have a broken knee cap and will restart my injections next week. For those of you who are not familuar with the process the dr will take a needle and stick it under my knee cap and release this ky type of jelly to lubricate my knee joint.  As you can imagine this is painful for me and the last three times that I have had this series done I have not been able to walk for about a week.  THe problem is that this is not a one time event, I need a series of injections one a week for six weeks.  I am scared that my weightloss will totally stop if I am immobile for 6 - 7 weeks.  I am currently in alot of pain and am having trouble sleeping so I know that I need the injections but I have been doing so well with my weightloss I dont want it to stop, I still have about 100lbs I would like to loose.  Can anyone think of any exercise that I can do without bending my knee.  By the way I am also getting an injection in my heal and ankle on the same side at the same time. Yup glutten for punishment, not really just figured I would get it over with. If you have any suggestions please let me know I really would like to figure something out. 

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
LJ1972
on 4/4/12 2:09 pm - FL
I'll reply here too
Swimming, or a properly set stationary bike with no resistance. When I had the injections (4 wks, 2 injections each visit) I tried doing the elliptical the same night and it gave me horrible problems.
Heidi T.
on 4/5/12 3:05 am
RNY on 01/31/12
 Thank you, I also have a tear in my acl and mcl and the injections cause inflamation which makes my knee almost impossible to move.  My dr and surgeon told me the only way to combat this is with NSAIDs and I had liver failure from NSAIDs and could not take them before surgery.

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
Kim S.
on 4/5/12 12:03 am - Helena, AL
no knee bending.............that's a tough one.

You can sit in a chair with your legs straight in front of you and lift your legs....great for the abs.  You can also do arm/shoulder work seated in a chair.  You could hold a plank position on the floor for core work too.

I'm not sure how you get cardio in without bending the knee.

Heidi T.
on 4/5/12 3:05 am
RNY on 01/31/12
 Thank you for your suggestions

rny 1/30/12              
Elaine2
on 4/5/12 11:01 am - Atlanta, GA
Heidi
You might want to check out the Sit and Be Fit DVDs on Amazon. There are several.  I think some of these were used on PBS for a program.  Might be geared towards Seniors but could offer you some guidance until you're more mobile.
Just a thought.

cabin111
on 4/6/12 8:28 am
Would certain swimming strokes work??  A physical therapist can help with ideas too...
S_Bullock
on 4/6/12 9:31 am - CA
 HI!
I am Brand New to this Website & Forum, so please remember that if I do anything or type anything that is against any "rules" I have done so without prior knowledge.

I don't have a lot of time right now, or I'd type a longer reply to you.

I read your Post twice, and there is more I'd like to ask & type to you, but I'll settle with just asking you this one question now.

You said that you are getting some "KY"  substance shot into your knee and that it hurts you a LOT , and .... etc.

I have a question: Don't you know the Name of this "ky" substance? Do you know its Brand name and/or its Chemical/Generic name?  And/Or the Name of the Procedure? I know I can offer you some insight, if you are referring to what I think you are referring to! But I need to know exactly what it is that is being done to you. If you know the answer(s) to my question{s}  & would like some experienced advice, let me know.

Heidi T.
on 4/6/12 12:30 pm
RNY on 01/31/12
Hyalgan is the brand name of the injection, I have chosen this one because I have been found to be allergic to the rooster comb that is in the mix.  I still get a slight allergic reaction every time I get these injection, yet the benifits outweigh the reaction.  I get severe swelling, a localized rash and pain at the injection site.  The pain somewhat lessons and the rash somewhat goes away within one week.  Just in time to get my next injection.  I take some antihistime medication during the entire six weeks of injections in order to slow down the reaction that I have to them.  I also have a tumor in my right foot due to the instibility in my right knee and my acl being torn.  I have fallen alot and have at one point broken my foot and never got it fixed hence the tumor. LOL I am falling apart.  Physical therpay is a great idea, yet I have already maxed out my bennifits for this year with pt for this injury and am not able to get any extended peroids of time without another surgery.

rny 1/30/12              
SueBee01
on 4/9/12 11:13 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
I too am knew.

I went thru plasma injections for both Achille's Tendons which was very painful too and I had to walk with a cane for a couple weeks until the pain subsided. One shot each ankle once a month for three months. One is now totally healed and the other still gives me a little problem.

I do two things: upper body exercising I the pool which will keep the weight off your knees. Use water weights. Second, I have a WII machine and the WII Fit so you can create your own personal workout program and focus on those things you can do know. You could get a cardio workout with the boxing or playing tennis even sitting.

Good luck!
 Sue

Most Active