Heel pain. Planar fascitis or Achilles?

Mary B.
on 4/3/12 12:19 am - Southern, MD
Hi everyone!

So, I finally registered for my 5k. Now...Im having some heel problems. I have had planar fascitis issues. Mostly before weight loss. The only time since losing weight that I was bothered was during my 60 mile walk. Im very familiar with the pain...bottom of the heel and arch area.

Now, since Ive started running (jogging/shuffle) Im having heel pain. Ive been researching, but I cant really find info on the exact place Im feeling it. Its on the bottom outer heel. Looking at this picture, it would be where the achilles meets the calcaneus or lower. Not anywhere on the bottom. From what Im reading, most achilles pain is up higer.

After running, or working out, when Im stretching, it BURNS. I dont really feel it aching or any pain/burning without use. Its mostly a burning sensation.

I do have a podiatrist I saw with the fascitis, just curious if I could wrap it and try fascitis stretches and ice until then. I dont really have time to relax my training now :(

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

MacMadame
on 4/3/12 1:16 am - Northern, CA
You absolutely need to rest it or you will just be sorrier later. I am speaking from experience! Training through an injury just prolongs the injury.

I have PF sometimes too and what you describe sounds like it. Do you have any inserts in your running shoes? I like the SuperFeet ones. My podiatrist recommended them.

But the big thing for me is  not to go around in bare feeet. That almost always causes things to flare up.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Mary B.
on 4/3/12 1:43 am - Southern, MD
You are right. I know it wont get better without rest.

I do have inserts. Dont remember the brand, but had them specially molded to my feet. I had them done for my walk. I only have maybe 60 miles on the shoes and inserts. I wore them the first 18 miles, then it rained and my shoes never dried out. Ive had them in the closet and forgot about them. I pulled them out now that Ive been jogging. They are running shoes, not walking shoes.

Im going to pull out my tape tonight. Thanks for the info. I dont want it to get any worse. Nothing like excruciating pain when you try to get out of bed in the morning. Ouch!

SueBee01
on 4/9/12 11:27 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
If you are having outside heal pain and it runs up the back Lower part of your ankle you really need to see an ortho. I had micro tears in both mine. Most of the pain comes when you take your shoes off and rest. That is when it becomes very painful. If you think this is it, I can tell you more and how to treat it before you TEAR a tendon, then you will be really pissed!
 Sue

Mary B.
on 4/10/12 1:22 am - Southern, MD
Thanks so much for the info.

Its really not close to the ankle. More of the back of the heel where it meets the bottom. Hard to explain, but just at the curve. If you had your foot flat on the floor and put your finger against your heel, but on the floor...right there. Clear as mud huh? 

Im still not sure what it is achilles bursitis maybe, or just an extension of pf? My arch is sore, but there is no excruciating pain when I get out of bed in the morning like a full blown PF episode.
Ive been using KT tape and that is helping SO much. Im an addict. Plus taking care to do extra stretching of my calves and feet.

I think its the mostly the mountain climbers and the burpees killing me slowly! 

SueBee01
on 4/10/12 1:56 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
I had pain running up the back of my ankle, but when the doctor gave me the injections, he actually shot into the outside of the heal. He could push on a spot about an inch above the floor and it was sore. The tendon wraps around the back/bottom of the ankle and runs up into your calf. The pain is not usually that high, but will make your ankle stiff and not as flexible as usual. Get a band and do a lot of ankle stretching/strengthening with the band, up/down and both left/right with the band to use the muscle and not just stretch it.

I ended up going to PT for three months and then three months of the shot therapy. All in all about a year to heal the one and the other is getting better. But, I was an avid tennis player (5 days a week) and haven't been able to do that for 2 years now.

That was part of my choice for Lap Band so that I could lose some weight and get back being active. I was heavy when I played, but gained 50 pounds during the two years off to make it even worse.

I hope you get better soon!
 Sue

Most Active