My Revelation...

superconducting
on 3/28/12 11:22 pm - Montgomery, NY
So last Saturday I ran in a half marathon.  It was my third time running this particular one, the first time being my first half marathon ever.  It is the flattest race I run down in Queens around flushing meadows park (famous for being the site of the World's Fair in the 60's).  

Well I PR's by 2 seconds, but I was still pretty dissappointed as I was hoping to get under 2 hours, and I was well on trac****il mile 9, when my calves and hammies went on me.  I ended up around 2:05.  But I was in major pain.  Probably one of the roughest races to finish ever.  So for the last few days I am have been in agony recovering.  It really took a lot out of me, and I feel as bad as when I ran it the first time.  This has me really down, as in my head I am thinking, heck, it was just a half marathonm on a flat course, why am hurting so bad, I barely PR'd!  

And during an attempt at a recovery run yesterday, it dawned on me.. I have lost my mind!  I just ran 13.1 miles faster than I ever have before, at 41 years old, 2 weeks after running one of the hardest 13.1's in terms of hills, and the morning after a hard bike ride, with about 4 hours of sleep...  I have set utterly unrealistic expectations of myself, and I am not enjoying the level of fitness I have acheived!  

So going forward I am going to stop focusing so much on times and really just enjoy these events, and enjoy my lifestyle.  If I need a few extra days of rest because I am particularly hurting, no biggee.  

So then it dawned on me, I have transitioned to a new stage in my post morbid obesity life.  I think we all go through some form of stages.. for me it is something like  1.  Lose pounds.. all about calorie restriction   2.  adding in exersize   3.  getting serious about fitness, "finishing" an event  4.  Going after mt. everest.. finishing a half or full marathon, or a tri  5.  Above and beyond..  The Ironman..  obsessed with training and all aspects   6.  Utterly focused on performance, and for me 7....  full circle.. balance, enjoying who I am, helping others, resting, living...  

What's next?  Who knows!  I know I don't feel bad that its 5 days later and my calves still hurt like hell, and I probably won't attempt the 30k this weekend.  Maybe instead I'll take an easy bike ride with the kids.

MichelleNC
on 3/28/12 11:30 pm
It sounds like you have it all together. Congrats on the PR and I hope you have a great bike ride with your kiddos today.

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

mcarthur01
on 3/28/12 11:42 pm - Cumming, GA
i'm with you!  that's why i'm dropping out from the serious stuff this year and focusing on short fun events and training.  next year, i will cycle it back up (i'm thinking RAIN again).  it is impossible (especially at our age, i will be 41 in May as well) to keep up with the intensity that we have without some down cycle scheduled in.  you will also find that you will PR more often than you think on your down cycles as you are rested physically and mentally.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

javier rosario
on 3/29/12 1:26 am, edited 3/29/12 4:53 am - NJ
 It's the mental side of the battle.. Setting superhuman goals and beating yourself up and not enjoying what you actually accomplish.. I do it all the time.. ( I am a professional at this) I am now 45.. a three hundred pound guy that gets in the ring and spars with guys half my age and either dominate or keep up with them and I still Am not happy because I'm not moving punching and kicking like I did when I was 24 training for Olympic style taekwondo..   Forgetting that a year ago.. I had to struggle and brace myself on something just to get off a couch.. Or struggle just to tie my sneakers!   I spend more time mentally frustrated then enjoying the ride.

Sue M.
on 3/29/12 2:58 am - Nantucket, MA
 This whole journey never teaches us about moderation... and most of us did not become obese OR marathoners with any good practice of moderation.  

Hell, the teach us to eat MOSTLY protein for so long - that's not moderation either.  But the smart ones figure it out.  You apparently are one of the smart ones!

ENJOY!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Jillian O.
on 3/29/12 3:14 am - Fort Riley, KS
What you are saying makes a ton of sense!

One of the reasons I am not doing an ironman this year, as much as the temptation is there, is last year during the peak of training I just about made it to my breaking point, and I knew that after ironman, it would take me more than a year to really want to do it again and be able to mentally put in the time to train for it again. I am happy and motivated to be do 3 70.3 races, and trying to do them faster.

As hard as it is, and as important as goals are, we have to work at not taking ourselves too seriously.

For me, and for Joel, next year will be big, ironman Louisville for me, RAIN for Joel, but for now, we're just doing races to enjoy them and enjoy the experience

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

Paul C.
on 3/29/12 4:18 am - Cumming, GA
 I hope to one day get where you are. Know that you are one of the people who has shown me what I am capable of.

Whats next?  Hmm Augusta?
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
nate2009
on 3/30/12 9:15 pm - Lebanon, OH
Nice.... Love it!!!!
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
Kim S.
on 4/1/12 11:40 pm - Helena, AL
You have accomplished much....but the beauty is now you KNOW it and realize what a gift it is!

I'd say you get it!

Most Active