Breathing and running

Mary B.
on 3/27/12 1:11 am - Southern, MD
Im really wanting to sign up for a 5k in May. Ive been working out steadily since Christmas. Elliptical, treadmill,  Zumba and strength training 5 days a week. The past 3 weeks have been strictly gym and I've let Zumba take a back seat for this 5k.

I started a bootcamp class (running and conditioning) and have been seeing a personal trainer once a week.

Im really having a hard time breathing while running. I can rock the hell out of the elliptical and when Im on the treadmill I do hill intervals and never go below a 2.5 incline at 3.3 speed. Thats pretty fast for me as I have a short stride.  When jogging (really its more a shuffle/jog) I can maybe make it 50 yards outside and maybe 45 seconds on the treadmill (I think I could do more, but I dont want the other people in the gym thinking Im having an attack) I really cant breathe. Im sucking wind big time and It seriously sounds like Im having an athsma attack. Im sure thats not what it is, I figure I just need to work up my lung capacity. When Im done, my lungs hurt like a severe case of bronchitis for about an hour.

Any tips? I try to focus on breathing, but I still sound like Im being tortured. Is it just something I have to train for? Maybe May is too soon to try to do this? I think I could go a little farther if I could just breathe.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Sue M.
on 3/27/12 1:51 am - Nantucket, MA
 running is it's own kind of workout...and building up the lungs is one of the hardest parts (for me).  I would really recommend following a running interval program like couch to 5k to get your lungs tuned up.  

You should also ask your trainer to listen to your breathing - they could probably tell you if it's normal "out of breath" or if you have some kind of exercise induced asthma.  (coughing is often a tell-tale sign)

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
LJ1972
on 3/27/12 10:00 am - FL
I have the same trouble to some extent... my trainer said to try "timing" my breathing to my steps - so I count (1,2,3,4) and inhale during one set of numbers, then exhale 1,2,3,4
MacMadame
on 3/27/12 12:06 pm - Northern, CA
Most of the time when this happens, you are running too fast for your fitness level. Try slowing down and see if that helps.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

MichelleNC
on 3/28/12 11:40 pm
I always have a problem when I focus on breathing. If a trainer says in your nose out your mouth dang it I am about to hyperventilate. So I put on my ipod sing along to the music and my head and I run/walk and I breath. I have run a half marathon before and I know you need to build up your lung capacity so start slow I agree the couch to 5k is great but also try to not focus on it. I need my music to distract me or I feel like I am focused on breathing and keeping myself in a rhythm.

Good Luck

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Mary B.
on 4/2/12 4:13 am - Southern, MD
Thanks for all the responses!! I ended up just trying to follow a c25k style program. Im slowly working on it and will use my bootcamp as a weekly brutal workout. Yes, I can definitely say its way over my fitness level, but Im doing what I can. Glad I didnt know what I was in for when I signed up! 

Im also going to purchase a couple more sessions with the trainer.

AND...

Ive done it...I signed up for my VERY FIRST 5K. Im all registered....and scared! I did make sure to check the box marked fun run/walk not race. May 19th.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Most Active