Question for my fellow runners

S. Evans
on 3/21/12 6:51 am

I have been jogging a mile for the past month in a gym on a treadmill and today I jogged an extra mile outside with rough terrain... I felt amazing afterwards and had an adrenaline rush so to speak for about 3 hours.... Then I just crashed! I am totally exhausted. Did I do too much at once? I did not feel like I did too much at all, in fact if I didnt have somewhere to be I would have kept going... my next question is, is there anything I can eat or not eat to help with this problem... would eating or drinking protien afterwards help??

MichelleNC
on 3/21/12 7:28 am
I loaded up on carbs before a 12 mile run once and crashed and burned. Did you have carbs before? I would definetly say have protein after the trainers always say that to me when I leave the gym after a workout go get some protein!
Good Luck I love running outside its fun right?

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

S. Evans
on 3/21/12 7:58 am
I was thinking the same thing...more protien. But I am a newby so I wanted to make sure... and yes I love running and especially outside. I found an amazing nature trail cose to home that has me right on the river!!
mcarthur01
on 3/21/12 11:07 am - Cumming, GA
i would focus on your nutrition holistically, at two miles or anything under an hour or an hour and a half, you don't typically need to do anything extra regarding fuel (other than making sure you are eating something as a part of your normal daily plan).  a lot will depend on where you are in your recovery and where you are with your current nutrition plan.  if you are eating a really low amount of calories, a two mile run may just put you over the edge energy wise.  i normally eat a protein bar after my workouts (i started with a protein shake), this helps with recovery, the protein will help with muscle repair, but some sort of carbs are necessary to recover your glycogen stores (i.e, blood sugar).  again, a lot depends on where you are today nutritionally and workout wise. 
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Kim S.
on 3/22/12 5:14 am - Helena, AL
A lot of that exhaustion may have to do with the pollen and heat....you aren't acclimated to the heat yet....but you'll get there!  I run all year long in the Birmingham area, so I see every extreme from 20 degrees to 110 degrees...and with each season, I experience an adjustment....the other day I ran 4 miles, 85 degrees...and I thought I'd die....I couldn't breathe (thank you pollen) and I was sweating like crazy.....really hit the water afterward to replenish.

Carol S.
on 3/24/12 11:09 am - Milwaukee, WI
 I would try the protein.

Anything over 5 miles and I usually add some Gu (they have it in sporting goods stores) during my run (my 5 miles is a little over an hour) and if I'm going over 10 I use another half packet at 8 miles.  

I usually run in the mornings, eat my lunch and then nap so maybe I am exhausted but I figure after running for more than an hour I should be..

As you continue to run you should have more and more endurance.  Welcome to running!  I love it.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Most Active