Exercise and Food routine

maggieandrockysmo
mma

on 3/14/12 10:23 am
Hi Everyone!
I am new to this board but not to this site.  I have just picked up my exercise routine and am really focusing on strength training.  My goal is to increase my strength and muscle while lowering my body fat percentage.  With that being said, I have been experiencing hypoglycemia after my work outs.  I do try to eat within a few hours prior to working out (I work out in the afternoon after work) and then go home and have dinner after. 
My routine at the gym is a 10 minute cardio warm up, either arm, abs, or leg strength training, depending on the day, and then completing my cardio routine. 
I am wondering what other exercisers do as far as eating prior, even during, and after work outs, as I can't keep getting hypoglycemic.
Thanks!

Frances S.
on 3/14/12 10:42 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 I usually try to eat something small around 45 minutes before I'm going to work out.. that way I'm fueled for the workout, and its enough time for me to wait to be able to drink while I'm exercising.
crystal M.
on 3/14/12 10:46 am - Joliet, IL
I have to have a snack within an hour of working out or I get dizzy and I have no "staying" power when running.  So I will eat 3 apple slices and 1 tbl spoon of peanut butter.  Some people will drink supplements but I like to eat food...it satisfies my head hunger.  I also workout after work.  I have something in the crockpot at home or leftovers to warm up.  So when I get home I just take a shower relax and eat. 

I was told it's important to have protein within an hour after your workout so if your can't eat dinner before then maybe have a protein drink ready.  I almost always have dinner before that.  I live minutes from the gym. 
mcarthur01
on 3/14/12 10:53 am - Cumming, GA
i eat a protein bar immediately after my workout.  it will be trial and error and of course what you eat and how much is dependent on your nutrition plan, training regime, and tolerance for foods.  best of luck! and ask away if you have any questions.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

LJ1972
on 3/14/12 2:46 pm - FL
I usually have an 8oz protein shake with 1/2 a banana before a workout. Sometimes I will have a protein bar after, but not always.
For you folks in the know - if I workout hard with a personal trainer for an hour and usually eat lunch within about 2 hours, should I be more consistent with the protein bar? (sorry for th hijack)
Kim S.
on 3/15/12 12:48 am - Helena, AL
I have issues with RH.....not fun.  I too workout after work.

I always eat a few ounces of hard cheese and whole grain crackers before a workout (30-45 mins) and then eat dinner within an hour of finishing my workout.

No more issues.....

myminime
on 3/15/12 7:18 am - Eugene, OR
not to hijack, but this reminded me of a question i had

I workout in the evenings before bed. I usually start my physical therapy stretches and core/leg workouts, then do 30 minutes on the treadmill. It acts like a natural appetite suppressant - I'm not hungry when i'm done, which is awesome - i usually get pretty hungry at bedtime. But after I get done, I'm usually up for another 30min-1hr, and just drink water during that time.

Should I have a snack that late? My HRM isn't working for some reason (need to troubleshoot that), so I don't really have an accurate calorie burn count, but it can't be that high.
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

maggieandrockysmo
mma

on 3/15/12 9:26 am
Thanks everyone for the help!  I will try moving my snack up to about 45 min before working out!

Prov31
on 3/17/12 2:37 am

I found that I was having trouble getting dizzy half way through my workouts, My dietician suggested that I don't eat before my workout, but rather drink a can of tomato juice before my workouts. That way their is no food in my digestive track while working out, and the blood flow isn't compromised by digestion. It has worked PERFECTLY! Gives me lots of energy for my entire workouts...

Most Active