WTB calorie management system - need help!

chunkymunky
on 3/13/12 8:31 am - TX
 I want to buy a calorie management system & have no idea which one to go with.I know there us the bodybugg & the FITLINK... & not sure if there is anymore but if you have any ideas let me know which one you would recommend
MacMadame
on 3/13/12 12:27 pm - Northern, CA
BodyMedia makes a couple that are essentially the same including the BodyBugg and their FIT. They have an accelerometer in them, which is what is in a pedometer. They also have 3 other sensors that sense things like how much heat you are giving off and how much you are sweating. They take all these measurements and turn them into a calorie count.

The FitBIt is just an accelerometer. But it also turns that data into a calorie count.

You can also get a heart rate monitor but most of them only work when you are exercising.

The advantage of the FIT/Bodybug is that it's more accurate than the other methods. The disadvantage is that it cost more and it's bigger so it's hard to wear discretely. The advantage of the FIT is that it's cheaper and you can hide it in your bra.

A HRM is going to be the most accurate for most people but it has a lot of disadvantages in that the accurate ones are expensive and that most of them only work for exercise.

(The FIt Link is an accessor you can get for your BodyBugg/FIT. It's not a stand-alone device.)

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

MacMadame
on 3/13/12 12:29 pm - Northern, CA
Oh, I forgot to say, that I have the BodyMedia FIT. I love it. I wear it all the time and because of that I can calculate my own BMR which makes a lot of other calculations more accurate. It really helps me with maintenance.

I also have a sports watch that has a HRM and I do wear the HRM sometimes but mostly I don't. I don't train with Heart Rate so I don't need it and the strap around my chest can be a PITA.

I have a lot of friends with FitBits and they love them but every one of them does normal amounts of exercise, not the intense training I do. For intense training, I just think it's not accurate enough. Plus, I didn't want yet another device giving me yet another number that I couldn't quite trust. I trust my FIT and it hasn't let me down yet.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Frances S.
on 3/14/12 9:05 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 I also have the BodyMedia fit and really love it.  I've had it for two months now and now rely on it to give me an accurate picture of my calorie burn each day.  

For the BodyMedia Fit you can get the smaller "core" version, but that requires purchasing a separate display device to see your numbers beside plugging the armband into your computer.  I have the LINK version which has bluetooth and I can see my numbers on my Android smartphone.

If you decide on a bodyMedia Fit,  you do have to pay a subscription to use the online site.  I would highly recommend buying from Costco for either option since you get a 6 month subscription with the core, and a 12 month subscription with the LINK.  either one direct from BodyMedia only comes with a 3 month subscription.  After that its 6.95 a month.
Most Active