Early Bird Tri (My first and a long post)

Paul C.
on 3/6/12 6:00 am, edited 3/5/12 6:09 pm - Cumming, GA
Ok since I have had some time to process this past weekend and catch my breath here is my weekend/race report.

Distances:
Swim: 400m
Bike: 20K
Run: 5K

As some know I was pretty stressed last week going into the weekend, I get this way when I am placed in a position of not having control or not knowing what to expect. I was this way before my first half but wasn’t for the second. Jillian, Andrew and Bill were awesome in helping me deal with my stress by reassuring me I would be fine.

Friday we drove the hour to Athens GA so I wouldn’t have to worry about travel or anything Saturday and we could just chill and relax. Well good thing we did because massive storms came through the area we live in and I was glad I missed it.

Saturday my family and myself met up with Bill and his son for some lunch. Later after Joel and Jillian arrived the 3 of us headed to packet pick-up. I had opted to not drive the bike course and for me it was a smart move because with the number of hills I would have stressed even more. The bike was the portion I was least comfortable going into. I had only recently gotten my bike and due to illness and weather I had not had a chance to get outside on it for more than 30 minutes and only then it was to make sure I was comfortable clipping in and out and getting down in aero, so not fully being aware of the hills was a good thing for me.

Saturday night was a relaxing and fun dinner with Jillian, Joel and my family which was rare for me because I typically don’t eat the night before any race longer than an hour. Dinner was just what I needed even though we talked about race stuff a bit it helped me relax and really not think about Sunday.

Sunday morning arrived and I woke and got ready, I had previously packed and checked my transition bag so all I really had to do was brush my teeth and get dressed. After I was ready I woke my family and when everyone was up and ready we headed out. Met Joel and Jillian on the way out and we all headed off to UGA. Arriving at transition the reality of what I was getting ready to do set in but oddly enough I was feeling pretty good. I set my transition area up and Bill came over to check it out for me then it was off to the pool (one thing to note is the entire night Friday and Saturday morning was rain so transition was a mud pit). As I walked to the pool I just though dang this is a long way, and then I was the pool OMG it was huge and I had to swim the whole thing!

Being a pool swim we had to submit 100m swim times and we were seeded based on those times. I was honest and if anything too conservative in my swim time I would later come to find out. The swim started and the place exploded with cheering and you could feel the energy as the first swimmers began. The swim was 2 people side by side starting every 10 seconds and snaked up one lane then back down the other for all 8 lanes. Finally it was my turn to enter the pool I was on the inside of the lane which I was happy for as it would make changing to the next lane easier. When I started the swim I focused on maintaining the steady stroke I had practiced for hours in the pool while training, and things were going well for the first half a length. About halfway down the first length my vision was obscured by nothing but bubbled so I look up and see the feet of the person in front of me about 2 inches from my face. I looked and seen I didn’t have enough room to go around as their start partner was right beside them so I had to slow up (change my stroke). On the second length I had the chance to get around these 2 individuals but it meant increasing my stroke. Once around I again tried to focus on maintaining what I had trained but again I swam into bubbles and was forced to slow up and then eventually speed around them. These 2 incidents totally threw me off my swim and I quickly tired as I was so focused on not swimming into anyone else that I couldn’t really settle into my stroke and eventually ended up doing a length of a rest stroke. I looked back as I started my final length and see that there are 3 lanes between me and the next swimmer but my swim was so shot at that point the goal was to just make it to the ladder. Exit the pool and see my family standing there smiling at me and off I headed to transition.

Enter transition 1 geared up for the bike and headed off to the mount line. Mounted and headed off for a ride that I was less than clueless about but confident I could finish. Exit the University property to a slight downhill dropped into aero and shifted into high gear and powered my way down actually passing a few people, into the first uphill. The first hill was pretty long but the grade wasn’t too bad and I found a gear that allowed me to keep what felt like a comfortable cadence, about a quarter of the way from the top a guy passes me and I am like “Ok this is my first ride on my bike, my first road race it is going to happenÂÂ". I finally make it to the top and get my groove and just focus on moving forward, until the next downhill comes at which point I fly past the guy that passed me coming up. Regardless of being a downhill I shifted again into my highest gear and powered down the hill. I had found 2 gears I switched between on the flats and had learned that the Highest gear would be my friend on the descents. I had gotten into such a groove that I was passing people on the climbs and never had to get out of the saddle (I kind of wonder now had I kept a higher gear and gotten up could I have gone faster on the climbs). The last descent before entering the campus was the only time I stopped pedaling and only did so because even in my highest gear I couldn’t pedal fast enough to add power to the bike. I get to the dismount line and rather than swing my leg over as I stop I stopped still fully on the bike and this presented my only real problem for the day, HOW THE HELL DO I GET OFF THIS THING! My legs so did not want to work but eventually I made it WITHOUT ME OR THE BIKE FALLING!

Enter T2 change my shoes and put on my hat and do what slightly could pass as a run to the run start. Again my family is standing right next where I need to go and I could only smile, then I hear Bill shouting “GO Paul, yeah he was already finished with the race. While having Tri shoes for the bike was nice in that my feet were totally dry it did present a problem giving the fact it was like 47 degrees out and windy, I could not feel my feet. I hadn’t had time to really do any brick runs and the run started with an uphill so I swallowed my pride and walked the hill. I did start running at the top but it wasn’t until mile 1 that I really got my running legs it was about this time when I realized that when hitting my garmin to start the run I had also hit the stop button. I would also shortly learn not only would this be my first Tri but also my first trail run as probably half the run was on a trail through the woods, this was fine with me as the softness of the dirt was probably less painful than running on asphalt. The nicest part about the run was that since it started with an uphill it would end with a downhill and I used everything I had left to finish strong. Standing past the finish line I see my family smiling at me and as I walked to them I see Bill, Jillian and Joel clapping.

I knew I had accomplished something not that I never thought I could do but something until last year I had never thought about trying. I had set a goal and I had accomplished it, at this point the times didn’t matter the only thing that mattered was I had crossed the finish line.

After picking my stuff up from transition I joined everyone as we hung out and waited for the awards. Bill took second for the big boys and Jillian grabbed a good first for her Age group. Me? I was happy to have been able to experience this with my family and friends being there with me.

Then it was to the hotel for a nice HOT SHOWER!

NAME Rank SWIM Rank T1 Rank Bike Rank T2 Rank RUN Time
Paul Corley 105 0:12:11 116 0:03:35 91 0:47:23 118 0:03:47 110 0:33:03 1:39:56
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
azreggie
on 3/6/12 7:47 am - Tucson, AZ
Congrats Paul, what an amazing accomplishment coming from whence we came.

Reggie

Sue M.
on 3/6/12 10:44 am - Nantucket, MA
 I couldn't be prouder if I had done it myself!!!  Congats, Paul, on a job well done!!!!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
KatCooper
on 3/6/12 12:01 pm - Collierville, TN
 Wow, what a fantastic job.  I have Tri envy.  I keep thinking someday I will be able to do something like that!  You are such an inspiration.  Thanks for the great update!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Jillian O.
on 3/6/12 8:36 pm - Fort Riley, KS
I am proud of you, and happy I got to witness your frist triathlon. Once again, congrats on offically becoming a triathlete. It was a rough first race with the cold and the hills, but you still finished strong. Are you hooked yet?

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

Rob S.
on 3/6/12 9:07 pm - DE
Great job, Paul. I didn't realize they did tris with indoor swimming (must be a Southern thing). Finishing is what is the most fun about these events.

Rob  

mcarthur01
on 3/6/12 10:22 pm - Cumming, GA
Proud to have been a part of your first tri, and great report! And Jillian, heck yeah he's hooked, he's already planning the next race!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Seht
on 3/6/12 11:23 pm
Congrats Paul.

It sounds like you had a great time.  You should be proud.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Paul C.
on 3/6/12 11:24 pm - Cumming, GA
 me get hooked on something?? NO WAY! 
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Mary B.
on 3/6/12 11:27 pm - Southern, MD
 OUTSTANDING!! 

Reading that took me back to getting in the corral to start my 60 miles. I was terrified!! I can imagine how fantastic you are still feeling. What a total rush! 
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Most Active