Need help getting over a "mental" hurdle

Geminisappho
on 2/28/12 4:43 pm - Atascadero, CA
Hi guys!

I was really on a roll late last year, a bit of running mostly mountain biking. I had a knee issue keep me from anything for a few months in September then in late Janurary a bilateral inguinal hernia repair.
Mentally I am really nervous to get into any form of excercise now. I have the whole go ahead from my surgeon but physically and mostly mentally I feel nervous that even the smallest cruntches to a minor strenuous uphill will "bust my seams" so to speak.
I work in a field where I daily I lift 20 to 40lb items (slowly) and can function like this but I can't get my head out of this "fear."
Anyone been through this?
Any ideas of how to remove my head from my posterior?
Thanks!
***ADRIENNE**

mcarthur01
on 2/28/12 10:37 pm - Cumming, GA
small victories.  start slow and just getting back into it and going to the gym or getting on the bike for 10 minutes can be your first victory.  it is too much to mentally or physically expect that you can just jump right back in to where you were at your peak.  build up slowly.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

InkdSpEdTchr
on 2/29/12 12:35 am
I know how you feel, my bike wreck this summer messed with my head more than anything else. I still have days where I think I'm going to topple over and crack like an egg, but I know that it's just my fear talking.

I'm with the Wookie ;)  small steps. Just get out there and start doing, getting back on the proverbial horse is really the only way to go. Doesn't mean you have to start up running, but do some brisk walking, or easy biking, and you will find that you will build back quickly.

Wishing you the best of luck,
:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

MacMadame
on 2/29/12 5:45 am - Northern, CA
Crunches are probably one of the least effective exercises. It's on a lot of exercise professionals list of "exercises I wish no one would do".

So just don't do them and do something else is my advice. 

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Geminisappho
on 3/2/12 8:06 pm - Atascadero, CA
Thanks for the help you three. Yeah it's just mind games I am playing with myself. I am going for a small trail ride today with a partner to see how I do.
Thanks for all the well wishes we will see how it goes, it should be a beautiful day for a ride!
***ADRIENNE**

Most Active