Question re: bike trainers

acbbrown
on 2/27/12 12:32 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 I'm looking into getting a bike trainer since i'm tired of spin classes always being full. 

But, I don't really know much about them or what I need to get one set up. From what I've read, it seems like a fluid trainer might be the best option?

Can I set this up on carpet and if so, should I get some kind of mat or something to go under the trainer?

When you buy a trainer, does it come with everything you need or are there usually other things you need to buy to go with it?

Is there anything I need to know before I go to the bike store to look at some? I don't want to be completely clueless. Any recommendations?

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Frances S.
on 2/27/12 1:29 pm - Crystal Falls, MI
 I came to the same conclusion that fluid trainers were the way to go.

Carpet is fine, and I've never put a mat under the trainer..

The other things you might consider to purchase:

1) a tire block/stand for your front wheel.  this will hold your bike steadier and raise your front wheel/handlebar more in line/level

2) if your computer is on your front wheel this won't measure while on the trainer obviously.. you may want to switch to a rear mounted computer
acbbrown
on 2/27/12 1:33 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Thanks!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Paul C.
on 2/28/12 12:45 am - Cumming, GA
 I keep a mat under mine just to keep the trainer from eventually tearing up my wood floors or carpet.  

I bought a fluid trainer and then bought a mat seperately.

I got a Cycle Ops and I know Kenetic is also a good brand, but it will come down to price point.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
InkdSpEdTchr
on 2/28/12 12:52 am
I bought a Cycle-Ops fluid one last year on Craigslist for $75 and I love it! I also bought a climbing block for it, and I use it only on my carpet.

If you're going to buy a new one, check out Nashbar.com, they usually have good deals.

Also, you may want to get some DVD's to spin to- I hear Spinnervals is a really good one.

Spin Away,
:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

mcarthur01
on 2/28/12 2:13 am - Cumming, GA
i have a cycle ops w/ mat and block for the front wheel as well.  you can get away with a beach towel underneath if you aren't much of a sweater, the carpet may be ok.  for me.... definitely need the mat, and sometimes a towel on top of the mat :)
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Seht
on 2/28/12 4:02 am
Don't do it on the carpet or get something under the trainer.
I have a spot on my carpet because of tire rubber, and oil etc.
Not only the bike needs to be worried about, but you will probably be dumping lots of sweat down onto the carptes.  You probably don't want your house smelling like a gym.

They also make a tire specifically for the trainer.  It will wear out your tire faster than you expect.
They are made of a different compund than the tires for the road.
They also have a warning on them not to try to ride them on the road

I also have a lift/riser under the front tire.

You have a huge variety of trainers you can get.
From cheap to OMG it costs almost as much as my bike.

You might want to look for one that you can adjust your tension while on the bike.
You also want to make sure that it comes with it's own skewer for the rear wheel.
because it clamps onto the skewer area you don't want to mess up your nice one.  Mine came with a plain jane metal skewer for the trainer.

The new Greg Lemond tainer doesn't even use a rear wheel, it connects to your rear casette.   It's pretty cool, but it is on the very pricy end of the spectrum.

Also you might consider looking at your bike computer.  You want one that is rear wheel mountable so that you can get your speed and distance info.  Many of the bike computers (wired) models don't have a long enough wire to reach from the handlebars to the back wheel.

If you get a wireless one, you want to make sure it has enough signal strength to communicate from the back wheel to the handlebars.

The garmins are rear wheel setup and they have not only speed but cadence. 

It's also good to put some kind of covering on your bike while you are training.  Just like in spin class you will probably generate more sweat than you do out on the road.  Sweat is corrosive and you don't want that dripping on your bike, or you just do a good cleaning after.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active