When your routine workout becomes too difficult?

Mary B.
on 2/27/12 12:07 am - Southern, MD
HI everyone! I really need to stop lurking and start posting more here...

Ive been doing Zumba 3 days a week since the end of October. About 4-5 weeks ago, I added in the gym so I could add strengh training because the scale just isnt moving. Trying to get these last 40-50 lbs off, I also really started working on my food.

Food wise, I started at 1600 calores a day and last week eased it down to 1450 or less (not much less). Been doing pretty well. Lost 4 lbs the first week and a pound a week now bringing me to 8 lbs. Ive been averaging 80 grams of protein a day (and I take my vits)

Workout, Zumba 3 days pushing it as hard as I can. Jumping, and high kicking. Im drenched at the end of the hour. Zumba is Mon, Wed and Sat.

Gym, I do 30 mins on the elliptical followed by either a full upper body strenght training or lower body...and yes, some days both. I do this on Thursdays and Sunday with Tuesday and Friday my days off.

Recently Ive been finding that Zumba and the ellpitical are becoming increasingly harder. IM having a hard time finishing full throttle. Ive had to change my ellpitical from the 'variety' setting to just setting it on level 2 and going with out adding hills. As far as Zumba goes, Im just worn out and have to tone it down a little.

Shouldnt this be getting easier so I can push myself farther? why is my routine getting harder? I dont think I took my calories down THAT far. Could 150 calories cause that much of a disturbance? 

And one final question...am I the ONLY person who is exhausted after working out? I see other people are so pumped. Yesterday I did my elliptical and a full round of upper body and lower body weights. Got home, made a huge protein shake (amazing what a little air and ice can produce) and was zonked out!
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

acbbrown
on 2/27/12 12:20 am - Granada Hills, CA
It should be getting easier but...

Our bodies are weird creatures. There's no exact linear progression. My body is going through fatigue issues (and it comes/goes once in a while) where a 20 minute walk drains me, but I've been able to run for an hour a couple weeks ago. I don't know if my fatigue is related to nutrition, vitamin deficiencies or just general life stress, but it can happen.

As for your calories, I dont think 150 calories would make a difference, but it depends on what your overall calorie intake includes - are you eating 1400 calories of all protein, or carbs/protein or what?  Try having a snack (some carbs) before working out - maybe an hour or two, and see if it helps. Play around with hydration (im assuming you are drinking before/during exercise?), nutrition, and if all else fails, get some labs run. Sometimes, you might just need to take a week off if you are getting totally exhausted.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Kim S.
on 2/27/12 12:21 am - Helena, AL
Short answer-yes, the calorie reduction could do it. 

When you are giving it all you've got in the gym, you must have fuel to get through it.  Try having a good carb/protein snack about 45 mins before you do Zumba....I eat 4 low fat Ritz with colby cheese before I run....does the trick.

Paul C.
on 2/27/12 1:57 am - Cumming, GA
 As others have said yeah depending on the source of the calories it could have that affect. Or it could be that you have been going at the level to long and may need a couple of rest days, no guilt in resting if that what your body needs.

if you are doing ultra low carb then you have depleted your glycogen stores and probably don't have many carbs for your body to work on so it is processing protein for energy which isn't exactly an efficient source of energy.  try the smal carb & prtein snack 45-60 minutes before your workout. 
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
InkdSpEdTchr
on 2/27/12 2:04 am
Have you heard of periodization? It might be something to research a bit as it may work for you, it's basically where you plan how hard you are going to work out to give your body a chance to recover.

Remember, you don't make gains when you are working out, but when you are resting. That's when your body is putting itself back together.

Maybe you're not giving yourself enough rest time?

I think you also need to figure out what your goals are. If you want to lose weight then yes, lower calories is a better option. But if you want to increase your fitness- you're probably going to have to eat more to fuel your body.

Allisons right though, there is no magic solution, it's trial and error.

Good Luck,
:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Mary B.
on 2/27/12 2:52 am - Southern, MD
Thanks for the replies!! I really appreciate the input.

Basically, my diet is consisting of things like

Quest Bars (2x day)
Coffee w/ cream (1)
Garden Salad (romane, spinach, onion, carrots, broccoli etc.) lite oil based dressing
baby carrots
Oranges, bananas, apples or melon (one fresh fruit 3-4 xday)
2% string cheese
Muscle Milk or powdered protein w/ Unsweet Almond Milk
Single serve packets of Almonds
Kashi Hot Cereal

Dinner is usually grilledor baked chicken or pork with a veg. Maybe a carb of brown rice, quinoa, whole grain pita or sweet potato.

I usually eat a banana or string cheese before the gym/Zumba. Maybe I'll try a whole grain instead?

This is all so crazy. It really is trial and error.

Reddheadd7
on 2/27/12 6:21 am - CA
Like I just posted on your page, it looks like you're eating a lot of carbs with all that fruit and cereal. I've tried the quest bars but not sure how many carbs they have. I drink low carb protein shakes, no breads, rice, pasta, potatoes...just protein and veggies. I may have to try the carb/protein snack before workout though.

I've read that it's good to take a week off every 6 weeks or so or else you're defeating the purpose. One other thing...do strengthening first then cardio.

Good luck!
Mary B.
on 3/1/12 2:20 am - Southern, MD
Hey Red!

The Quest bars are low carb. 4-5 carbs depending on the flavor. 17-18 grams of fiber, 20 g protein and run about 200 calories. Low or no sugar alcohols. LOVE THEM!! 

mcarthur01
on 2/27/12 9:49 am - Cumming, GA
sounds like low blood sugar to me... it will be trial and error, but try something carby before your workout (a sports gel or granola bar or something) and see how that feels.  are you working out at a high intensity for over 90 minutes in a row?  if so, you may want to consider fuel during your workout.  i typically will not fuel during workouts unless they are around 2 hours long and all cardio, for those workouts i will take in a gel or something around 100 calories around the halfway mark.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Michelle E.
on 2/27/12 12:14 pm
I believe you should have your Iron tested.. as someone who has within the last year suffered with anemia.. I thought I was just punking out at the end of my workouts.. I would try to push through it but now I know that it wasnt me.. it was my anemia..

When was the last time you had your iron tested??

Michelle
Most Active