When did you start to work out?

Bestmomtr
on 2/25/12 9:38 am - Cherryville, NC
VSG on 02/20/12
Monday, it will have been 7 days since my operation. I want to start walking more but, not sure how much to do starting next week. Any ideas and what did you guys start wtih?
BestmomTR    
Scott William
on 2/25/12 10:23 am
I started on a treadmill for 6 minutes at 2.5 mph. 7 months later I ran a 5 mile race in 43 minutes. The progression was gradual and steady.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MacMadame
on 2/25/12 10:28 am - Northern, CA
I started walking in the hospital. At 2 weeks out, I went back to work and the free gym there and started doing the stationary bike there for 30 minutes 1-2x a week. Then at one month out I started running and experimenting with other exercises. I'd worked my way up to 4-5x a week by then and then I went for 45 min instead of 30 min... 

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Jack_Fabulous
on 2/25/12 12:26 pm - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
My Dr told me to go ahead and start walking for 10 minutes a day and then gradually increase it. 

mcarthur01
on 2/25/12 10:11 pm - Cumming, GA
i started walking in the hospital, then 30 minutes a day of walking until i was 6 weeks out and my surgeon cleared me for all exercise.  when i got home from the hospital, the 30 minutes of walking started out as very slow and steady.  by 6 weeks out i was walking much faster and on hills (both outside and on the treadmill).  best of luck to you!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

crystal M.
on 2/26/12 9:09 am - Joliet, IL
I was hard headed and didn't start till 18 months after my surgery.  One of my biggest mistakes was not taking exercise seriously from the start.  I see so many making the same mistake.  And because they continue to lose weight they continue on the path of no exercise.  I say you should start from the very beginning and build from there.  If you come on here regularly you will notice the people on here that have made exercise a part of their lives are not crying about regain.  I say start slow and build a good foundation for later when you are maintaining.  Good habits take awhile to form.  

Since I started 18 months after surgery I didn't have to worry about stitches and doctor Clarence.  But I was VERY out of shape.  I just hopped on a treadmill and started to walk till I was full of sweat...which wasn't very long.  Then every week went a little longer and faster.  I also do weights and stretching to make sure I don't injure myself.   
Bestmomtr
on 2/27/12 12:20 am - Cherryville, NC
VSG on 02/20/12
Did you loose a lot without working out?
BestmomTR    
crystal M.
on 2/27/12 10:52 am, edited 2/27/12 10:52 am - Joliet, IL
I lost a total of 150 lbs so far.  I lost about 50 of that the first 18 months and the rest after I started to exercise!!!  So you can see it made all the difference in the world for me.  If it weren't for for my workouts I would have been one of the people on the revision board or on the Band board crying about my surgery....thank God things worked out for me!!!!  I really don't want to go through another surgery if I can help it. 
Earl C.
on 2/26/12 11:36 am - Circleville, OH
I got 7 weeks off from work after my surgery, so I had time to kill. I started walking the day after surgery. Just down the block and back at first but did that 6 or 7 times a day. I went a little further each time and as I got up to 15 - 30 min at a time I started cutting down on the number of walks until I was going out 2 times a day for an hour each time.

I was doing light band exercises 3 days after surgery. I just picked stuff that didn't hurt my stomach. Lying down was out,  so were legs, but I could do a number of light shoulder and arm exercises and figured out how to do some upper back and chest stuff with the bands too.
Bestmomtr
on 2/27/12 12:19 am - Cherryville, NC
VSG on 02/20/12
Wish I had 7 weeks off. I have been doing a little walking nothing major.
I forgot about the bands but, will try them today while working.
Thanks
BestmomTR    
Most Active