Endurance cycling & getting the calories

Stephanie K.
on 2/21/12 5:21 am - IN
Hey folks, I am planning to do several long bicycle rides this summer (>150 miles). I have some ideas on how to keep hydrated but I also need to keep my calorie intake up through the entire event. My cycling buddies are great at keeping their calories up, but I am concerned on how I should do this to best suit my little stomach. Does any one have experience in this area or have advice? I will be past the one year mark from my RNY by the time these start.

Stephanie
acbbrown
on 2/21/12 8:16 am - Granada Hills, CA
I dont feel very qualified to answer this but I'll share a few things I learned -

The less food I consume better because I still cant easily eat/drink at the same time and I found it very hard to drink after eating at an aid station and was pretty uncomfortable at times.

Gels may be idea for fuel if you have that problem.

Are you going to be stopping to get food or carrying it all with you? I finally got a bag for my bike frame so it's in front of me - it makes it much easier to get food if you are going to attempt to eat while riding.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Seht
on 2/21/12 11:50 pm

liquids.

Check out infinit nutrition or something similar.
They will tailor make a sports drink for you.
I set the alarm on my watch to remind me to drink every 10 minutes.  I get my fluid and my calories and my electrolytes that way.

I also pack a variety of other items,  Protein bars, gels, shotblocks, things like that.
I prefer things that have a good calorie content without putting a large quantity of food in my stomach.
I will also pack some beef jerky that way if I have that feeling or desire to have something somlid or chew on some food, that takes care of that for me.

I have made that mistake before where I eat a real meal with my buddies then get back on the bike to ride and end up having to find a restroom or have the feeling of having a big old brick in my stomach.

I was at a presentation done by one of the doctors who works the Ironman in Hawaii, he said that studies they have done and seen, show that calories in liquid form are digested at a higher rate and faster.  Even a swish and spit of a caloric beverage introduces some calories into your body.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

InkdSpEdTchr
on 2/22/12 1:47 am
Very cool, what rides are you going to do?

Just like every other sport, it's trial and error. As you are training for the rides try lots of different foods and drinks to find out what works best for you, because everyone is different.

Personally, if the ride is under 60 miles I will take a few of them items on the bike: Gu chomps, Jay Robb protein bars, Lara Bars, trail mix, fruit, jerky, cooked yams, and Justins Nut butter pouches.  About 100 calories for every 10miles is how I plan it, and no more than 10gm of sugar per serving or I'll dump.

For longer rides, I'll buy lunch such as;  the insides of a sandwich or burrito, I'm mostly Paleo and since I don't eat grains, I'll just have meat and fruit or veg for lunch.

I also put a salt tab (Nuun, Camebak, Hammer) in each 20oz bottle, and go through a whole bottle every 20miles.

Hope you find what works for you!
:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Stephanie K.
on 2/22/12 3:29 am - IN
 Right now, I have planned to do Calvin's Challenge 12 Hour Race in Springfield, OH and RAIN in July. I hope to do another century ride late May or early June also. I've talked to a chef from my surgery center who is also a cyclist doing these same rides. I really want to have lots of options to try before hand so that I have an idea what works best for me. I'm just thrilled to be able to do these things now!
InkdSpEdTchr
on 2/22/12 6:17 am
Those look like fun! I'm so coming out to Ohio next year to do the Calvin's Challenge, that looks like fun!

I hope you figure out what works for you, nutrition-wise.

:D

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Paul C.
on 2/22/12 6:21 am - Cumming, GA
 For advice on RAIN you want to talk with Bill McArthur he has done it a couple times.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
MacMadame
on 2/23/12 11:49 am - Northern, CA
We can only digest about 200-300 calories per hour while exercising intensely so it's not really hard to keep that up.

I like to eat things on the bike more than drink my calories. I eat fun size PayDay bars, Pretzel M+Ms and stuff like that. I do keep a bottle of sports drink on board but it's just to top off or supplement if I get tired of my food. Oh and I throw in some gels in there for caffeine.

What I do differently from my friends is that I eat every 15 minutes instead of every 20-30. So I eat smaller amounts more often.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

mcarthur01
on 2/24/12 2:46 am - Cumming, GA
Hi Stephanie... i've done RAIN for the last 2 years, you can email me if you want some event specific advice ([email protected])
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Most Active