Sore throat while running

ruggie
on 2/19/12 10:16 am - Sacramento, CA
Ok.... I've been doing the cardio thing on the elliptical ok no issues.

I started this C25K program (Ease into 5K) and just finished my third run. Running is new to me.

So during the longest run segments (only 60 seconds right now!) I'm getting really winded.  I figure that's normal.  I've never run before.  The thing is is that near the end of the running segment, my throat gets sore and a little tight - the top of my throat at the back of my mouth.  I go into a walk segment and it starts to get better in 20-30 seconds, go back to run, and in another 30 seconds is getting sore, lather rinse and repeat.

Is this sensation normal or something to be concerned about??

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Paul C.
on 2/19/12 7:51 pm - Cumming, GA
Sounds like you may be trying to fast of a run pace if it eases up when you walk. Try slowing up a bit.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Pkrplyr777
on 2/19/12 10:14 pm - CT
Yep, Paul is right.

It probably means you are pushing your heartrate way up.

Slow down a little. A good pace is one that you can still talk at the same time.
Or get a heart rate monitor and go at a pace that keeps your heart rate in the high end of the fat burning zone for your age.

Really, the idea is to get your heart rate to a certain zone and keep it there.
So you start the fast part and your heartrate goes up to lets say 130 then you slow it down. It takes a while for your heartrate to go back down  but when it does you start running again to bring it back up. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Eventually you will have to run faster or on incline to get your heartrate up AND it will drop back down a lot quicker so you will be running faster/longer.

Drink water before during and after.
Do some squat-lunge exersizes to build up your leg muscles too, It helps the running.
Good luck,
donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
MacMadame
on 2/20/12 2:21 am - Northern, CA
I think you are running too fast too.

But I disagree about trying to aim for the "Fat burning" zone. You should run at a pace that is comfortable so you can finish the workout but don't worry about being in any "zones" right now.

For one thing the formula for figuring out your zones based on your age only works for about 5% of people and for another you burn more fat, the harder you workout not by staying in this particular zone. Finally, you aren't fit enough to worry about training in any particular zone right now.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

ruggie
on 2/20/12 2:44 am - Sacramento, CA
Ah.... thanks for this advice guys.  I might be pushing myself to keep increase my pace too much - while I'm doing the running stints, I definitely can't talk, I'm so winded.  I'll try a more moderate pace and see if that helps.  Thanks a lot!

readerchick
on 2/21/12 1:04 am - Canada
Make sure you drink lots of water during the day before you run! It helps a lot.

Also make sure you spend time strengthenting your leg muscles. My trainer did not let me run for a despite the fact that I am training for a race. He had me on the treadmill at an include 7-11 at 3.4mph for 20 minutes and then 20 minutes a time on the stair climber (yuck).

I have noticed a huge difference in my legs. It makes running so much easier when they are strong and stable enough to hold me up!

Izabelle G.
on 12/19/12 10:26 pm - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12

Did pacing yourself work? Did you start by running on a treadmill or outside? I am on week 2 and having this same issue.

Thanks,

I am walking 60 Miles in 3 Days to fight cancer! Donate today!!

http://www.the3day.org/goto/igomes

Surgery 10/15/12 - HW-263lbs GW-150lbs CW- 170.8

ruggie
on 12/19/12 11:13 pm - Sacramento, CA

It did.  My throat now gets dry sometimes, but not sore after I took it a little easier and got better cardio endurance.

Most Active