Embarrassing question: runner's trots and WLS

rjsams
on 2/18/12 11:39 pm - Eagan, MN
I hope this is the right place to ask this question.  I don't know if anybody else will really understand or have ideas.

I am training for a half-marathon at the end of April.  Today was long-run day, so I headed out for an 8 mile run.  Good thing I chose an unpopulated trail away from roads, etc.  And alone!

I have had digestive issues before with running, but today was an epic disaster.  Since I would be out for 90 minutes or so, I ate a banana before leaving for the run.  About 2 miles in, I had an unstoppable accident.  Nothing I could do but turn around for the porta-potty at the trailhead.  Didn't make it.  After less than 3 miles I had to head home to clean up.

I know lots of runners have this issue, but I wonder if it's worse for RnYers.  It was a lot like dumping syndrome.  I'm very glad I didn't meet anyone on the trail!

Now I'm really worried about my half-marathons.  Can I run them without refueling at all?  Any recommendations on what to eat and when to eat it to minimize this problem?  I can't do this in a crowd at a race!!  I'm now afraid to eat anything at all before a run--usually I run in the morning before breakfast, but I was told you should have something to eat if you'll be out for more than 45 minutes.  I expect to take about 2:20 for a half-marathon at this juncture.  Ideas?

Cassie W.
on 2/19/12 3:49 am
Finding the solution for runner's trots ends up being an exercise of trial and error of when and what to eat.  As a starting place, consider training your body to tolerate liquid calories, such as Gatorade, before your runs, even your shorter ones.  Ideally, use whatever sports drink will be used on the race course.   

Sports beans or Shot Bloks are another option to consider.  When I first started running longer distances, I used the beans because I could space them out and control the amount of sugar I was consuming.  I ate one bean every other mile.

Also be mindful of what you eat the day before a long run and before your race.  Low fiber, low fat the day before the long run tends to be easier on the GI system.

Best of luck to you.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

MacMadame
on 2/19/12 4:02 am - Northern, CA
I found that as I got more fit, I had less GI issues. In fact, I haven't had GI issues in about 2 years at this point after having some embarassing incidents both in training and racing before that.

The percentage of runners on this board who have RnY and have GI issue is about the same as those who have GI issues (and haven't got RnY) on my triathlon board. So I don't think the RnY makes it worse.

Also, don't believe any "you must do X" advice about nutrition. EVERYONE is different. Definitely there are people out there who run in the AM without eating anything. Basically, you just have to experiment with nutrition to see what works for you.

I never eat something and then immediately run. But, if I run before breakfast, I do bring nutrition with me. I couldn't run for an hour or two on a completely empty stomach. I have also experimented and figured out that liquid food sets me off (they seem to have a laxitive effect on me) and I do well with solid food. I like to eat cookies and grapes while racing. However, a lot of people are set off by solid food and do better with liquid and gels.

Like I said, just try different things and see what works for you.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

crystal M.
on 2/19/12 8:16 am, edited 2/19/12 8:18 am - Joliet, IL
OMG!!!  I thought I was the only one this happens to.  Of course I'm at the gym when this happens...but still having to stop and run to the bathroom is embarrassing.  I never see this happening to anyone else.  It's almost like each time my foot hits the treadmill it makes my stomach shake around and pretty soon...well you know...it doesn't happen everytime I run but often enough.  I guess am glad to see I'm not the only one.

Oh and I didn't have RNY.
Scott William
on 2/19/12 9:19 am
I personally have gone in the woods over 10 times. Some were completely sudden and I found the first group of trees that I could. Some were more gradual and I had time to find a really nice spot. Other times I was fortunate to find a nice park toilet or make it home. Take the few extra seconds to completely remove your garments. It really makes for a less stressful time.

I personally can't eat anything before I run andI have to use the bathroom 2-3 times. It typically takes 15-20 minutes to get out of the house after I am dressed.

Lastly, I never leave the house without 6-8 feet of TP in my pocket. Ever!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Paul C.
on 2/19/12 11:30 am - Cumming, GA
Like others have said it is about finding out what works for you. When I do long runs I typically will change my diet 2 days before to avoid issues. I once ended up doing 13.5 on a planned 11 mile run because the toilet at the end of the trail was closer than the start, and I can say it was a max pucker factor going on the lsat mile to the toilet.

As for races I don't eat the morning of a get my calories from liquid, typically a protein shake with banana. For longer races I stop eating solid food around 4pm the day before, partly for nerves. I do gels in my longer runs but had to play with the timing if what works best for me.

I know some RNY people have issues with bananas so it may have been the source of your calories, but it will be trial and error on what works for you.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Stacey D.
on 2/20/12 4:36 am - Harrisonburg, VA

I too used trial and error, but I still today usually have to warm up stop and then begin again.  So when I do early mornings, I try to get "warm" go then head out for the long run.  I use the gel block as well.  if eaten in moderation, do not try recommendated serving on the back.. it was too much sugar and immediately sent to the bathroom, but I usually do one at a time, and when I am slowing down, eat another one. 

Good luck with the 1/2 marathon!  I am sure there are pit stops along the way, even if you perfer not to use them....

Stacey
RNY-10/27/04

Judi J.
on 2/20/12 5:14 am - MN
you definitely want to experiment. my rny husband has issues so he tried not to eat or drink much after 8 pm the night before his first full marathon and had wicked wicked leg cramps.

he eats a banana pre race and has gotten his body used to the sports drinks but it can definitely be embarassing.
Sue M.
on 2/20/12 8:47 am - Nantucket, MA
 this is why we train - it's dress rehearsal.  I tend to make sure i have the right combination of food BEFOREHAND so that I get the bathroom work done before the starting gun.  This is my best bet, but I have definitely used porta-potties in the middle of a race.  I have thankfully never had a full on accident.

Definitely experiment with foods and gels, with and without caffeine.  running in the morning vs. afternoon can change plans too.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
mcarthur01
on 2/20/12 9:57 am - Cumming, GA
yep what they said, trial and error to find what works for you (which may include getting up extra early to do your business BEFORE you start running).  running is definitely a natural laxitive that doesn't limit itself to WLS people.  best of luck.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Most Active