Exercise v. Weight Loss

SFChorus
on 2/17/12 2:41 am - CA

I’m two months out from surgery and I’ve lost 31 lbs so far (25 lbs post op + 6 lbs pre-op).  I’m a lightweight and my total weight loss goal was 65lbs, so right now I have 38 lbs left to lose.   Here’s my dilemma:  I started working out with a trainer thrice a week about three weeks ago, and it has brought my weight loss to a complete standstill.  I suspect it’s the workouts because last week, due to illness and work, I didn’t see my trainer at all and I lost a couple of pounds.  This week however, we’ve started up again and my weight loss has stopped.  I’m worried that I’m losing the effects of my VSG’s  “honeymoon period" by doing all this work with the trainer.  My question to you experts out there is should I stop working out for the time being to take advantage of the “honeymoon period?"  Or should I just push through it?  On the one hand, I love my work-outs because I feel they keep me sane.  On the other hand, I paid all this money to lose the extra weight (I was a self-pay) and would rather not sabotage that in any way.

More stats on me, in case it helps:  I’m 5’ short, consume 550-600 cals per day, 60-75 grams of protein and under 30 carbs.  I take all the recommended vitamins and drink at least 64 oz of water each day.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

My thanks in advance,

Fiona

fit2lose
on 2/17/12 10:55 am - MN
VSG on 05/07/12
Take your measurements.  Something I see a lot of on here is that people are not losing weight but they are losing inches.  It sure would fit with your situation if you are replacing the fat with good muscle.
MacMadame
on 2/17/12 3:28 pm - Northern, CA
If your weight loss has actually stopped, it's for one of two reasons:

1) You are retaining water to repair your muscles

2) You have upped your eating because working out makes you hungry.

If it's #1, then it's immaterial. The scale is misleading you and hiding your fat loss from you but it's still there. If you have started to eat more, then you can stop doing that and the weight loss will pick back up again.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

walterswife
on 2/19/12 12:21 am
You might wan to consider the possibility that you are not consuming enough calories.  500-600 is too few even for someone who is not working out.  I would up the calories so your body has something to burn.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Most Active