Running outside

crystal M.
on 2/13/12 10:38 am, edited 2/13/12 10:41 am - Joliet, IL
I have been practicing my outside running for my 5K next month.  I have always done my running in a climate controlled setting on a treadmill.  I have been so focused on time and distance.  There are two things I have never expected ...when it comes to running outside

1st...the ground is really freaking HARD!!!!  My GOD.  My bones ache from the pounding.  Especially my lower legs and ankles.  Don't worry I have a really nice pair of Asics running shoes that are new (I bought them last month).  I also wear nice running socks too that have slightly padded heels and ball of my feet.  So that's covered.  But do you ever get used to the bang..bang...bang of the ground??

2nd...and most importantly.  It was about 23 degrees outside.  The cold air literally was hurting my chest.  Within 5 minutes it was hurting.  When I was done running I was coughing and coughing.  I don't smoke and I don't have asthma.  So is this just a matter of conditioning my lungs?  This is something that could really hinder me if it's cold the day of the 5K. 

I'm glad I took my trainers advice...boy would I have been surprised if I waited till the day of the race to do this.  People who are out there running make it seem so easy...it's all you guys faults...hahaha!!!!
Scott William
on 2/13/12 8:25 pm
The lame answer is that yes - you get used to both. 

I would start out easy with the running and gradually work up to where you want to be.  Do you bounce a lot as you run.  That could contribute to the jarring you feel.  I had a girl on my college track team that seemed to float when she ran.  Her head never moved up and down.  When I started running I tried to model my running after her because I figured it would be better on my joints since I was still big.  That being said, I would not go too far out of the way to change your running style because except for some tweaks, it is what it is.  Mostly, just start with short runs outside and increase them as you get used to it.

If you had started running outside this fall and ran as the temps gradually decreased, you probably would not have even noticed the 23 degrees.  That is another - it just takes time.  You could try running with a ski mask over your mouth.  It gets a bit wet and nasty but keeps the air a little warmer.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
superconducting
on 2/13/12 11:10 pm - Montgomery, NY
 Personally I still struggle with running outside because of the pounding.  Basically I keep it to 1 run a week outside, although in the winter I have even done my long runs on the TM.  I need at least 2 days to recover from even a 5k on pavement, as I am really sore.  Maybe if I keep doing it I would get used to it, but basically I figure if I can get close the same benefit from, and I don't mind using the treadmill, I'd rather not deal with the aftermath as much.  Again, that's just me.

Paul C.
on 2/14/12 12:54 am - Cumming, GA
 outside running has been the cause of more than 1 injury for me.  I never have gotten used to it I just push through it, which is how I get injured.  Shorter runs don't seem to bother me as much anymore but a long run will have me on ice for a couple hours.

You say you bought shoes but did you get fitted.  I know for most people that getting fitted at a running stores has proven to be a life saver as they will help get you into the right type of shoe as not all running shoes are created equal.  Before I was fitted I couldn't go more than .5 a mile before the ankles and knees were toast after 3-4 miles is easy and pain free well physically the mental pain is still there.

Other than that the more you do it the more your body will adapt to it.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
JsSkinnyMom
on 2/14/12 3:06 am - Youngsville, LA
Wow! Kuddos to you for running in 23 degree weather. I LOVE running outside. I'm a "social" runner so I love crossing my neighbors and looking at all the pretty houses, etc. However, anything below 45 degrees and I can't hang. Guess I'm just a wimp but I can't deal with breathing that super cold air and my finger tips get so cold they hurt. Not my thing.

Good luck with your race. Hopefully it's a tad warmer that day!
 J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
Rob S.
on 2/14/12 8:06 am - DE
I'm sort of in a minority when it comes to running outside. I love it outside no matter the temperature. I feel like a treadmill runs for you. If you got the right shoes and the right compression tights you shouldn't have many aches or pains. Running outside is also a great place to socialize. A great face mask helps when it gets real cold, and glittens are great for keeping the hands warm. Don't make it a project, make it fun.

Rob  

Elisa K.
on 2/15/12 9:25 am - Lumberton, NJ
I'm with you, Rob.  I hate running on the treadmill.  I will do it if the weather is really bad, but I prefer to run outside. 

crystal M.
on 2/14/12 9:11 am - Joliet, IL
Well I just got back from the gym and my personal trainer thinks I might have shin splints and put me on low impact for a week.  He thinks the area where my pain is and the onset of the pain...it's likely shin splints.  So he said we should ease off the high impact for a bit (since the 5K is next month...we want no injuries) and slowly reintroduce high impact.  In the mean time he was having me stretch me calf muscles and do light weights.

I'm kind of proud...My first running injury!!!!  I feel like a runner now...hahaha!!!!

To answer someone's question...I was sized.  So I do know my size.  But I was never tested to see if I was an overpronator or stride or anything like that.
Most Active