Tour de Palm Springs Ride Report - long

acbbrown
on 2/12/12 12:47 pm - Granada Hills, CA
After riding for all of two months, I decided to sign up for this ride, and thanks to every one's support, I opted for the "55 mile" option (as opposed to the 25 mile which I had initially thought to do).

My longest ride prior to the event was 35 miles, and I had not been riding much the 2 weeks before since I was having some knee issues. So, I was pretty much nervous about the jump from 35 to 55, but I went ahead and signed up.

I was really nervous the night before, and did not sleep at all. I was pretty tired before I started but the adrenaline kind of kicked in and I felt fine. There was a staggered start depending on speed, but because I was outside for most of the morning waiting and it was cold, I just jumped in the "17-25 mph" starting group. I didn't see how it would matter much, and ultimately, it didnt matter at all since no one was going to be going those speeds.

The first 10 miles took me an hour and a half. It was the worse 10 miles i have ever done. The wind was so strong that even on the dowhills sections, we never went faster than 10-11 mph. However, there were relatively few flat or downhill sections. I started struggling mentally around mile 6-7, and I was convinced there was no way I was going to be able to finish this - i was pushing so hard and was drained already. My knee was really bothering me and I was getting scared. The next couple miles involved really really strong wind AND a climb. I got off and walked twice for a minute or two just so I could breath because I was panicking big time.

About mile 9 or so, I tried to get over to the right a bit, and the wind blew me onto a soft shoulder and then before I could do anything, it blew me right over - i was still clipped in on both sides and had been going about 8-9 mph at the time. It hurt so bad, I thought I had broken something, I couldnt even answer the people who stopped to help. I laid there under my bike for a minute and cried, and wanted to just give up. I was so over this ride (at 9 miles in lol). I saw an ambulance pass and then realized I was just fine and somehow convinced myself to get back up. It hurt really bad for the next 5 minutes, but eventually it got better. I told myself Id ride to the aid station in 5 miles and then take a sweep vehicle back.

I eventually made it to the aid station, and thankfully the last two miles had been downhill with the wind pushing us. I looked at my splits/times after, and I was going about 30 mph without peddling. So I decided at the aid station that there was hope for a better ride, so I kept going (after i got bandaged up and got some food/drink). Hydration was a B**** because it was completely impossible to drink on the bike.

The section between aid station 1-2 was a little climb against the wind which I delt with since my knee pain had subsided and I was mentally refreshed after stopping for 10 minutes. The rest was this up/down wavey section with the wind pushing us, so I enjoyed that. It was beautiful scenery.

I stopped for 5 minutes at the next stop and decided to just keep going since i saw a gradual climb climbing and I was mentally prepared for it. I did well with shifting gears to just spin up the hill so it wasnt too hard (wind was still pushing me up so that helped) Once I finished that, we had to turn, and then it got interesting. The wind was still pushing us, but it was also blowing to the side, so it was really really hard to stay on the bike. My arms/back/shoulders took a beating with my death grip on the bike, but I didnt have to peddle for a good 15-20 min since the wind was doing all the work. Some more amazing views kind of re-energized me. We re-entered civilazation as we neared the 3rd aid station, but we were riding against the wind again. Fortunately, the aid station was awesome with lots of different product samples (and iced coffee energy things) a band, and lots of food. I decided then that I was in this to the finish no matter what.

It was a tough ride to the next aid station but I just shifted into the easiest gears and went into auto pilot. We had a lot of traffic and lights so it distracted me from the pain. I was more than happy to get off at each light since the wind was killing me again, but it still wasnt as bad as the first 10 miles.

I rolled into the final aid station at mile 50. I thought - GREAT - 5 miles to go, I got this. I was so happy, i attempted to scarf down a PB sandwich and made myself sick, but I was just so happy I had 5 miles left.

However, I didn't know the route changed for whatever reason, and 7 miles were added. I ended up getting lost, and went 3 miles out of my way. Other people got lost with me thankfully, but I still had tears coming from my eyes when I realized I was exhausted, lost and had no idea how much further (I was using my phone as a GPS and it was dying). A nice resident ended up telling me how to get back on track. When I got up with the group, a cop told me i had another 7 miles to go. I was on the verge of just balling my eyes out. I was exhausted and in pain. I didnt fill up my water bottles at the last aid station since I thought I had 5 miles left, so I got really thirsty.

I dont know how I did it except one push at a time, but I made it to the end with a total trip distance of 65 miles (and then i still had 2 miles to get back to my hotel!!!). I was crying the last mile because I was in so much pain, but i was also really happy and proud for sticking it out especially considering the really horrible beginning.

This was a great confidence building experience, but destroyed me physically. Im covered in bruises and cuts and scrapes, and my hamstrings, quads and calves have been non-stop cramping since I got back (thankfully never happened while i was on the bike) - I got a massage, been sitting in the hot tub, hydrating, and taking motrin but every time I try to stretch, it just cramps up too much.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Paul C.
on 2/12/12 8:00 pm - Cumming, GA
Congrats!

Any finish is a victory. To think even 6 months ago how impossible this would have seemed. I think with such a tough experience and pushing through it all to finish you deserve this months Honey Badger award!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
mcarthur01
on 2/12/12 9:52 pm - Cumming, GA
way to go!  you pushed hard through physical and mental pain and did something you didn't think you could do (in what sounds like brutal conditions).  you almost doubled your longest ride!  great job and recover well.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

InkdSpEdTchr
on 2/13/12 12:44 am
Okay I didn't realize that the longest ride you did before this was just over 30miles- you are a BEAST woman! Most people don't double their distance overnight!!

I hope you feel like a champ, cuz battling wind is by far THE WORST! No hill climb is as awful as crazy headwinds, they just are demoralizing, and you should be so flippin proud of yourself for pushing through and not giving up.

Way to Go indeed :)

Hey have you had a bike fit yet? Sounds like you may need to get adjusted...

Hope you are feeling better today.

:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

acbbrown
on 2/13/12 12:53 am - Granada Hills, CA
 I am very proud of myself for finishing. But there's a very good reason people don't double their mileage overnight! If it would have been 55 miles, I would have been good, but the last 12 miles really did me in. 

But now I know I can whatever I set my mind to - 

Im going to schedule a bike fit this week. I'm making it a top priority. 

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Sue M.
on 2/13/12 1:09 am - Nantucket, MA
 setting in a new standard for "tough"!

Congrats on the finish!

Get plenty of rest and recovery!!!  You've earned it!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Krazydoglady
on 2/13/12 1:53 am - FL

Congrats on finishing! wow.

Aye carumba... you know all those wind turbine thingies are out there for a reason, now?   The wind is brutal a lot of the time.  I lived not far from there for 5 years. The wind would get so bad, my dogs would literally flatten out on the ground and not move.  We kept our van and camper perpetually packed and ready to bug out because the fire danger was so high and we lived on 5 acres in a canyon.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

acbbrown
on 2/13/12 1:58 am - Granada Hills, CA
Seriously, I did a little triathlon there in December and the wind SUCKED and I just figured it was a fluke and didnt think much about going back.

Two events later and I never want to do anything athletic in Palm Springs again.

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Seht
on 2/13/12 4:03 am
Good job, way to gut it out.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

superconducting
on 2/13/12 5:18 am - Montgomery, NY
 wow, that was one inspiring read.  Makes me want to get out there and MOVE!  Thanks for being so awesome.. and sharing your awesomeness!!!  :)

Most Active