weight lifting/adding bulk

m53 r
on 2/5/12 9:06 am
looking for info. on additional supplements. i have done consistent but light toning/resistance workouts for several years but I'm adding weight and trying to bulk up a bit. i have not had much luck. I'm doing 100g on my protein via body fortress whey (X4 servings per day), and i get some additional through my meals. even 11 years out i have a hard time with meat and I'm considering adding creatine. thanks for any insight on what has worked for you.

Earl C.
on 2/5/12 10:21 am - Circleville, OH
Supplements won’t matter much if the diet and the appropriate exercise program aren’t already in place.  Just in general from the little bit you told us, you need more calories and more protein to gain muscle weight.  I would start adding a 5 or even 6th protein drink or double up 50g on 1 or 2 drinks. You can add creatine and it works for most people. Personally, I don’t see the need to “load" or to add all the sugar when taking it. Just 5 grams a day with your protein drink is fine. As for the appropriate exercise, you have to train heavy or moderately heavy to add muscle. None of that toning stuff. Basic exercises are best that work the large muscle groups like back, legs and chest. You ever see a guy with a huge back with small arms? Me neither.
Paul C.
on 2/5/12 11:09 am - Cumming, GA
You need to lift heavy and fewer reps.  Calories and protein are crucial if you aren't getting in the calories you need to rebuild the muscle then all the working out in the world won't add bulk.

Nate is really the guy to talk to about this.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/6/12 2:15 am - Fort Worth, TX
You need to up your protien to 1G for every pound of body weight IF you want to bulk. Creatine is GOOD, but it allows your muscles to retain water, which in turn can dehydrate you, so if using Creatine, be sure to almost double your fluid intake. Also, NO2 will help tremendously with better blood flow and stronger pumps when lifting. Glutamine is a great suppliment as well. You have to cycle on and off these supplements from time to time and also cycle your phases as well. In other words, 10-12 weeks bulking, then 8-10 shredding, and 2 weeks recovery, rinse and repeat... You need to up your caloric intake. depending on how big / small you are now, you may need anywhere from 2500-4000 calories a day if you are serious about bulking up and maybe even more. One of the "Strongest Man" contestants used to come into my resaurant many years ago, he was 5'10" weighed 265 and had 6% body fat, and every day for breakfast ate 10 eggs, 1 plate of brown rice and 3 chicken breasts. It's all just a matter of how BIG you want to be and how much you want to bulk...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

m53 r
on 2/6/12 10:23 am
thank you for the info. wow, 10 eggs. amazing appetite to have that low of body fat!

superconducting
on 2/6/12 5:49 am - Montgomery, NY
 I started out doing a lot of reps with lower weight.  Its a tough challenge to go to heavy weight low rep after getting used to one way.  I use this guy's website as my workout bible, essentially:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/ 

m53 r
on 2/6/12 10:24 am
thank you, that website is amazing!

cabin111
on 2/6/12 6:05 am
Just wondering if plain nuts and roasted soy nuts would help??
Most Active