I finally did it...I registered for my first 5K!!!!

crystal M.
on 2/3/12 1:14 pm - Joliet, IL
Any tips???  Anything you can tell me that you wish you had known???  You know like what do I eat the day before...the day of???  How much water should I drink before the race?  It will be chilly...how should I dress???  What kind of warm ups???  Should I bring music???  How early should I get there???  I have so many questions.

Also any tips on getting myself ready for the event.  It's in March. 

I'm nervous...will I look like an idiot if I have to stop and walk?
KatCooper
on 2/3/12 10:14 pm - Collierville, TN
 I have walked all of my 5k's and enjoyed all of them!!!  Most of them allow music, I dont bring water unless its hot.  I get there an hour before the race if it is local or earlier if it is part of a really big race.  I hope you have a wonderful time!!!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Scott William
on 2/4/12 5:56 am
I wish I had known that I could have done the 10K.  You will get swept up in the atmosphere and it will carry you farther than knew.   I might drink an extra glass about an hour before but honestly for a 5K I wouldn't do anything different than I normally do.  After is when I might drink a few extra glasses and perhaps a replenishing drink. 

Wear less than you think you should.  Only once have I been in a race where I wish I'd worn more and that was a long race on Cape Cod in February where I really wished that I had gloves.  A quarter mile later there was a pair sitting on the ground waiting for me.

Anyway, as for warming up, perhaps a half mile of jogging to literally get the muscles warm.  If you want to throw in 3-4 accelerations for good measure, it probably won't hurt.  For your first race though, just lining up and going when everyone else does is good too.

Don't bring music to your first race.  Take in the atmosphere!

Get there 45 min to an hour before the race.  You will sit around feelig foolish for being so early but it will be a stress free wait.   Gives time to get your # on correctly, go to the bathroom a few times, warm up etc...

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MacMadame
on 2/4/12 11:02 am - Northern, CA
If your race is going to take less than hour to run then you don't have to worry about nutrition at all. Just don't eat right before and you can drink the water they have on the course during and you'll be fine.

For exercise less than an hour, water is all we need. It's when you start going over an hour that you need to worry about replacing electrolytes, carbs, etc.

Just wear what you wear in training for similar weather. The hardest part is the wait before the race starts. Because what is comfortable while running will be too cold while waiting. If you can bring something you can discard or give to someone to hold once the race starts, that would be good.

As for getting ready, it depends on where you are now... how long you can run without stopping, if you are using any training program, etc.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Sue M.
on 2/6/12 4:38 am - Nantucket, MA
looks like everyone gave you good advice.  I like to get to races early so that I can check-in, stretch out, use the bathroom, etc.

i've raced with music most of the time, but my fastest times have been without, and I've really enjoyed the people when i don't have headphones. 

Otherwise, do what you normally do.  Don't wear anything new, just go with tried and true.

What I wish I knew on my first 5k?   I wish I knew that walking during it isn't a crime and that finishing IS winning.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Kim S.
on 2/6/12 5:00 am - Helena, AL
Due to an injury, I had to walk my entire 1st 5k.  And that way okay.  Most 5ks have plenty of walkers. 

I tend to get thirsty, so I carry a water bottle in my running belt.  I like to run with music.  I typically wear the spandex/cotton blend leggings style pants and the same type of shirt with a built in bra (so I do don't have to wear a bra too).  I start out with a jacket and tie it around my waist.

Have fun!  I'll bet this is the first of many!

Kim

LinR
on 2/7/12 5:40 am
I ran my first 5K last October.  I got so caught up in the moment, I was really running too fast.  Had to walk a few times and still finished at my regular time interval.  You think you're running slow when everyone is passing you up.  Just try to keep your own pace.  I have a water belt and wore that because it was hot and I needed to pour water over my head--Arizona.  Don't think that will be a problem in IL.

I just ate 1/2 of a protein bar that morning for breakfast.  I find I can't run after eating more than that in the AM or I get diarrhea.  Don't know why--just my system.

Have fun.

crystal M.
on 2/7/12 9:12 am - Joliet, IL
Thanks guys...I don't why I am so nervous.  I feel am ready for this but you know when you are doing something new it makes me nervous. 

I actually signed up for a personal trainer and I met with him for the first time today and he thinks I should have no problem with the 5K and says with some work I could be running 10Ks!!!  Hehehe!!!  I guess I sell myself short.  He thinks I need to get off the treadmill and start doing some outside running a couple times a week to get used to the terrain and the weather.  Good advice.  So tomorrow rain or shine I will run outside!!!! 
drenchedfitness
on 2/11/12 9:53 am
How was your first 5k experience? I'm sure you did a good job. Congratulations! :)
Paul C.
on 2/7/12 9:50 pm - Cumming, GA
Relax and have fun!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active