"Mature" beginner runner

Jflyny
on 2/1/12 8:23 am
I started a beginner running program a couple of months ago. I have never exercised. I'm fifty-two. Is there such a thing as a plateau in running? I am up to 2 minutes walk, 8 minutes run (very slowly) x3 cycles ending with a 3 minute walk. I am finding this stage very difficult, by the 3rd cycle I have to take a little 45 second walk break in the middle. I have been on this cycle for 2 weeks and not ready to move up to next stage. Am I being to hard on myself? Does anyone have any suggestions, or even a quick little pep talk? Thanks.

acbbrown
on 2/1/12 8:29 am - Granada Hills, CA
Yes, it happens. But you also have to keep in mind that running becomes more mental than physical sometimes - and you just have to keep pushing yourself. Obviously, listen to your body, if you are in pain or can't breath, slow down, but otherwise, just push a little more each time.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

KatCooper
on 2/1/12 11:33 am - Collierville, TN
 I am in the same type of boat.  I have plugged away at it for weeks, feeling like I was never going to progress and now I am suddenly running (really running, not fast, but keeping a good pace) and I am running 10 mintues at a time with a minimum break of walking.  

Its ok to repeat a week if you need to!!  

Some one on this forum said are you stopping because you want to or because you have to.....I was walking frequently because I wanted to.  That thought process made all the difference.
Keep on going!!!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

mcarthur01
on 2/1/12 2:27 pm - Cumming, GA
what Kat said....  it is pretty striking how mental it really is.  remember, sharp pain is bad, but some pain you can work through.  the trick is to learn the language of your body and listen to it.  it takes some time.  best of luck and keep it up.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

imkim
on 2/2/12 4:07 am - Chatsworth, CA
I was 49 when I started running a couple years ago. I found it hard to run any extended time if I watched the clock. I watch my heart rate. I run until it is about 155. I keep this pace for a minute or so then I walk. When my heart rate is around 118, I start running again. This has forced me to listen to my body and no****ch the clock. For me, watching the clock was frustrating. I have seen improvement and have enjoyed the running more. Thats what has worked for me..

Have fun.
Kim
Jflyny
on 2/2/12 7:41 am
Thank you so much everyone for the advice and good wishes. I actually did much better on my run today. I have been trying to get into the mental thing. Today I told myself I was breathing just fine and getting enough air. I do like the idea of using a heart rate monitor. I have one now that a friend gave me, but with my over 50 eyes it's hard to read, what kind do you have Kim. I've been checking out Garmins but have no idea whats good.
Thanks again. Judy
imkim
on 2/3/12 4:10 am - Chatsworth, CA
Judy,

I have a Garmin F10. I think that is the number. It is just a basic one. No GPS. I have the same trouble. My arms aren't long enough . I can set it so the heart rate is the only thing on the screen and that helps.

Kim
Rob S.
on 2/2/12 8:58 am - DE
What is a "mature" runner? Can't be your age since you seem fairly young. All that aging into your 50s means is that you can't take as many rest days as the youngsters take.

Rob  

Jflyny
on 2/4/12 4:29 am
Very true Rob, lol. Someone told me the other day that I am getting a runners butt. I think thats a good thing!

Most Active