Running shoes for Overpronators?

theshrinkingmimi
on 1/26/12 3:43 am
My Brooks Beasts are too heavy and stiff. I think they are contributing to the pain (feels like over strained) in the acheles /below the calf region. I think my feet have a hard time bending- for instance I can't do a plank because my toes won't bend back in the shoe so I can hold the position. Well, I'll do it, but only as long as it takes for my feet to just slide me out of the position.

I still overpronate, yet I want to run with a lighter shoe. So any shoe with some stability and also some lightness?
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Seht
on 1/26/12 5:27 am
Real running store.  Explain your condition and have them fit you.
A good store may even videotape you running, I know both of my local stores now offer this.

They will put you on the treadmill, have you run and then they can do slow motion play back and show you what your feet are doing.  They should be able to make some good recommendations based on that.

Everyone is going to be different and like a different shoe.  I usually bought New Balance because they come in a wider size and I have wide flat feet. 

Now I use the brooks adrenaline GTS 11 I really like them they have been very comfortable.
http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe/adrenaline-gts-11

Runner's World Review

Runner's World Awards: Best Update Brooks made a lot of improvements to this lightweight stability shoe, adding a heel cradle to securely hold the back of the foot in place and more gel underfoot to soften impact. The result is a well-padded and supportive landing that doesn't feel squishy. The company also tinkered with the upper, incorporating adjustable straps into the eye-row to allow for a secure, foot-hugging squeeze. Recommended for normal to low-arched runners looking for a soft stability shoe with a great ride.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

wjoegreen
on 1/26/12 6:35 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Seht gives good advice, but for my nickel, I love my Asics.  Since Ive been to the runnign stores and gotten a little smarter about what I need, I now go places like Dicks. And I try them on and walk or usually jog around the aisles a bit to see how they feel.  I also will try one type/brand/style of shoe on one foot and a different one on the other foot so I get a one-on-one comparison with comfort and fit.  They don't have to be todays top of the line shoe to work for you.  Those mid range shoes use to be the top of the line shoe last year.  And until you get to the 200 and under range, most any shoe is going to wear-out faster because of the pounding we give them.  Good Luck,....the journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step.
Every body likes gong out on race day, but we often have to train alone.

Joe
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Seht
on 1/26/12 8:31 am
Joe has a good point on purchasing the shoes.

You can always buy subsequent pairs online once you find a make and model you like.
I would say go ahead and buy the first one from the store, they did do all the work afterall and you won't really know if you like the shoe without wearing it for a while.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Paul C.
on 1/26/12 11:46 am - Cumming, GA
Most running stores do not charge a premium on their shoes for the fitting.  Both pair I have bought at a running store have been the exact same price at Dick's and other places. One added thing about buying at a running store is the people working their are RUNNERS and will talk to you and you can get loads of free advice from them.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Kim S.
on 1/26/12 10:49 pm - Helena, AL
Paul, I agree.  The shoes I purchased at my running store were the same price online and at "chain" stores.  And the owners are runners, the customers are runners, so I always learn something when I go in.

My husband had issues with the insoles in the shoes he bought there, and they bent over backwards giving us free insoles to try to make it right, and if it didn't, they were willing to take them back after he'd used them a few weeks....I don't know if the chains would be that willing to work with a customer.

The best advice I ever got regarding running was go to a running store and get fitted....best investment I ever made.

And....lets not forget that I lost two toenails due to running in poorly fitted shoes!!  I'm happy to report they are coming back nicely and should be ready for a pedi in the Spring!!

Kim

theshrinkingmimi
on 1/27/12 7:15 am
 WHAT FABULOUS ADVICE!!!  Thanks everybody.  I feel better already.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active