Work outs for beginners

beth1010
on 1/9/12 1:19 am
RNY on 08/01/11 with
I have to confess I have no clue what I'm doing.  I'm 5 months out. I want to develop a regular work regeme.  Currently I'm walking 30 minutes a day 5 days a week.

Two days a week I go to the gym and work out for 30 minutes on the arc trainer, and then about 45 minutes or so of lifting.   My neighbor was telling me that you shouldn't go to the gym every day that it will over work your muscles and lead to injuries. I'm just wondering if at this stage I'm getting in enough exercise and what I should really be doing to maximize my work outs.

I'm starting to really now get some stamina and be able to do things longer and better. Would I be safe going more times per week? Is there something else I could be doing at home instead inbetween those days? I usually just do a workout off of ondemand on fit tv.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

glzgowlass
on 1/9/12 2:57 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
hope some of the experts will come along in a bit and answer your question.  I'm almost 4 months out.  I got sidetracked by a family emergency in Nomember and have struggled to get started. 

Just went back to gym a couple of days ago and today will be my third day in a row.  Have to say, the biggest benefit has been my mental outlook.  I wasn't depressed, but I'm in a great mood today and I put it down to the excercise.

Like you, I'm walking.  I do a bit of weights as well.  The gym has this fancy machine that acts like a recombent bike but isn't and I like going on that as well.  I'm not sure if I'm on the right track but I figure if we are moving when we weren't before, we are doing something right.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Paul C.
on 1/9/12 2:59 am - Cumming, GA
Yes working the muscles repeatedly without recovery time can lead to injury which is why you rotate through your muscle groups and never work the same muscles back to back.

what the routine should be really depends on what your goals are, but a good mix of cardio and weights will be really beneficial in the long term.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Kim S.
on 1/10/12 12:06 am - Helena, AL
Expanding on what Paul said:

As I progressed, I opted to increase weight instead of time.  This has resulted in very nice muscle strengh and definition.

I started with 5 lb weights.  I now use 15 lb for most exercises.  I only do enough reps to "feel it" in the last 3. 

Muscle confusion has really worked for me.  I keep my body guessing!  It doesn't know what to expect:  will it be yoga?  running?  intervals?  weights? it just doesn't know what is coming next.

If you can, invest in a few personal training sessions to learn as much as you can....and hats off to you for making exercise an important part of your life!

Kim

rtptjd
on 1/12/12 2:15 am - Atlanta, GA
Congrats to you on tackling exercise, I think the hardest part is getting started! I agree w/ Kim, if it's in your budget to schedule a few sessions with a good trainer, then by all means do so. Research a few at your gym or on the web, and then go with who you are comfortable with. I worked ou****rainer for about 6 weeks pre-op and it made a huge difference. Not only did I lose about 15 pounds, but I truly think it helped speed along my recovery (I was able to walk 30 minutes on the treadmill at four days post-op). One thing my trainer had me do was go through a tough weight workout first, THEN do my cardio. His explanation was that the weight work really kicked my body into fat-burning mode, so the cardio at that point was extra effective. It seemed to work for me.

Good luck, but be careful not to overdo it. Give your muscles a chance to rest after workouts and don't forget stretching, too. That can help prevent your getting injured.
Most Active