Run for the Dream 1/2 Marathon

ErinsClovers
on 5/23/11 9:37 am
Ok, I have not done a long report before so we shall see how it goes:
First off this was a great race!!!  Very well put together.  It was hosted by the town of Williamsburg Va and they gave away so much free stuff, it was amazing.  If you registered for the 1/2 you got a free ticket to Busch Gardens with a meal ticket and a free pass to Colonial Williamsburg... Plus the free shirt and all of the goodies in the bag. Not to mention the kick ass medal!!!!

To start off, my husband wanted to run this race with me before he heads off to Guam, so he drove 15 hours from Miss on Friday, rested a bit and then we drove up to Williamsburg to pick up our packets and stay the night.  After he napped for awhile we got up and drove the course ( oh the hills) and then grabbed some dinner...after that we headed over to the Colonial District and watched the Armed Forces tribute, fife and drum and fireworks...it was amazing....after that we we went and had some ice cream and headed back to the hotel.  I stretched before bed, red for a bit and then fell asleep, only to be woken up by some obnoxious women at midnight.

Race day:
The morning went perfect, we got up about 5, I got dressed and took the oldest son down to the breakfast bar and grabbed a English muffin and some pb, and a banana and headed  back to the room.  I ate and stretched and we got all packed up.  The hotel was providing buses to take us to the start of the race, we made it in plenty of time, I have never been this relaxed going into a race( maybe that was my problem).  We waited for about an hour at the start, it was nice, plenty of "johnny on the spots" and lots of music...another fife and drum band.  The band led everyone into the corrals about 10 min before the start.  We sang the National Anthem and said a prayer and it was time to start.
We started off slow, the miles were going pretty good, the race started on the campus of William and Mary and went through the streets of Colonial Williamsburg and then up and down the Colonial Parkway and back to the campus and ended at the William and Mary Stadium.  We were doing pretty good pace wise and then the first hill came...not to bad, I was pretty happy with how I dealt with it and how I felt after...so we kept plugging along...well more hills came and went...I lost track of how many rolling hills there were.  We got to mile 7 or 8 and I had to use the potty (big mistake) after that it was hard to get my pace and momentum back. It was all mental after that.  We were doing pretty good for a few more miles, but my foot started to hurt and hubby's IT band started acting up. 
Well, then it happened...I had to walk up the hill, I lost my self for awhile after that.  Hubby was trying to motivate me, but I was mad..not at him, but at myself...I am not sure what happened...I told him to go and kinda yelled at him (sorry honey), and then we he left I cried...I know right?  I was feeling defeated...but I just couldn't give up...I would run some more and then walk up the hills, I would try and run them, but would end up walking....Hubby had stopped over the bridge and was waiting for me ( I love him so much) He said we started this together and we will finish together.
So we finished together, as we got closer it got tougher, then we hit the last hill, which to me was a killer, it was the hill up to the stadium, we ran through the tunnel, which was cool, they had music playing and I got excited, well then I started to hyper ventilate, nerves, excitement...I have no idea, but as we were running around the track I had to walk, I had to catch my breath, I could not breathe, it was crazy, that had never happened to me before.  As we got 1/2 way around I knew my kids were up in the stands and I KNEW I was not going to walk over that finish line, so I took one more cleansing breath and we started to run, together....
The boys had been sitting in the stand for over two hours, they are 15 and 10, so they had made friends with the announcer and had already called out the names of our friends that ran, so when it came time for us to cross, they called out our names and how proud they were...and the guy was saying things like they were so good and how all the things they wanted....it was so funny and so heart warming...I cried again...for so many reasons...
I cried because, I was 247 pounds 1.5 years ago and I only started running a year ago...and I crossed the finish line with the man of my dreams and my great kids cheering me on!!!  It was the greatest feeling I could of ever asked for!!!!  We finished in 2.52, under 3 which was my goal, after seeing the hills....
The course was very challenging, but very shaded and lots to look at, they even had a piano man at mile 7 (the turn around point), very nice touch.  Lots of water stops, so if anyone ever wants to come up, it was a great race!!!  The post race bash was pretty good too, they had lots of food and drinks for free, even for friends and family, and a band started to play after the awards were given out.  It was very organized!!!  If we were staying in country I would do this one again, if only to prove I can run those hills!!!
Afterwards, on the other hand...I almost threw up (sorry) and felt like I was going to pass out at any given time...I knew I had not eaten enough the night before or the morning of, but I managed.  Thanks everyone for reading this long post, I could not of done this without you, because without you I would of never known these things existed or that they were even possible.  Thank you for all your motivation and pep talks!!!!  I learned a few things about myself, things that I need to improve on and things that I am proud off, this race is special, but I can't wait to do more!!!

Happy Running!!!!  I am going to get my 13.1 sticker for my car...

mcarthur01
on 5/23/11 10:42 am - Cumming, GA
wow, what a great story and race!  to hell with the times and the hills, to do what you did on that course with your family (with your kids calling out your name!  awesome) is incredible.  feel proud, i am for you!

p.s. "free" passes to busch gardens beats the hell out of the crappy granola bars most race goody bags have in them :)
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

fatfreemama
on 5/23/11 11:20 am - San Jose, CA
Congratulations Erin! I am so proud and happy for you. What a way to stick it out, and how wonderful that your hubby and kids were there for you. The last three miles of my first half my hamstrings and calves were in so much pain and all I wanted was a bathroom. It's hard, but then crossing that finish line was the most rewarding thing! You will never forget this and it will motivate help motivate you when things get tough. Because you did this. No matter the pain or the times you wanted to give up, you didn't. You did this and you can do anything now.

Go get that sticker!
Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/23/11 1:00 pm - Fort Worth, TX
What a great reports! Sounds fantastic to run through all the historical landmarks and to do it side-by-side with your hubby before he leaves knowing your kids were waiting for you at the finish had to be the most awesome thing. Congrats on your amazing successes Erin, YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

jkjstars123
on 5/23/11 1:27 pm - Tama, IA
That was awesome! You should be very proud!! I'm so happy your family was there to support you!

Julie
superconducting
on 5/23/11 3:24 pm - Montgomery, NY
 such an awesome read.  And a free ticket to busch and a meal?  Wow, now that is some reward!  Way to persevere, and the emotions on the races, I get the same way.  

nate2009
on 5/23/11 10:34 pm - Lebanon, OH
Awesome job , way to grit it out girl ! We knew you had it in you !!!!!
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
Paul C.
on 5/23/11 10:52 pm - Cumming, GA
Awesome job!

Way to push through and not let anything stop you from reaching your goal. 

Be proud!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
InkdSpEdTchr
on 5/24/11 2:43 am
You have proved to yourself that you can survive anything, you can get back up, and do amazing things. That is a wonderful lesson to have taught yourself- so big huge congrats!

To Erin! The woman that runs half-marathons!!!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Rob S.
on 5/24/11 2:52 am - DE
Very nice job. Way to finish strong!  Thanks for sharing your experience with us. You deserve that sticker on your car.
Rob

Rob  

Most Active