How did you "learn" to run?

mcarthur01
on 4/26/11 10:14 am - Cumming, GA
the biggest difference between walking and running?  in one word.  gravity.  this is a great article i read about this very topic a while ago....

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Missy1975
on 4/26/11 10:43 am - Graham, NC
Wow, that is a great article.  The gravity study makes sense!  And the explanation about internal "friction."  The Net calorie burn makes me a little sad though :( lol
Melissa

fatfreemama
on 4/26/11 12:35 pm - San Jose, CA
I just ran my first 5K. I've never been a runner or did any real sports at all, and have been overweight my whole life. Sixteen months ago, I couldn't walk a 1/4 mile without knee and back pain. When I started slowly, first just trying to walk a mile. Then I slowly built up, walking faster. I also did my elliptical, building up from doing 3 minutes to doing over 4 miles. It really helps with the stamina. I didn't get the desire to start running until this year, maybe 13 months post op or so. With running, it was the same thing. I set a goal to run 5K with my husband for our 26 Anniversary, which is this Thursday. It was very slow at first. Our park has 1/10 mile sides and I would run one side, walk one, ... or at least as far as I could. Slowly I could run farther. I still remember running my first mile. It was so exciting. But some days, I can run a mile or longer and other days I can't seem to get started. I wasn't sure I was going to make the 5K which was last Sat, but I did. If I can learn to run, then you can. It's a slow process, but to learn to run, you just have to keep trying. Listen to your body and be kind to yourself. And congratulations on your progress so far. You are doing fantastic. Keep us posted on your progress.
Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

jkjstars123
on 4/26/11 12:49 pm - Tama, IA
Do the coach to 5k program. It is a wonderful program and you can do it on your own. That is what I did and now can run 4 miles or so. Going to run 5ks this summer.

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

MacMadame
on 4/26/11 8:17 pm - Northern, CA
I tried to run several times at lower weights and couldn't. I felt like I was going to barf up a lung. One time I also threw out my back.

But this time I used the Couch to 5K program and it worked! (You can always stop once you can run a mile instead of the whole 5k.)

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

LaRuse
on 4/27/11 1:16 am - Richmond, VA
I also used the Couch to 5K plan to start running.   Like another poster, it took me MUCH longer than 10 weeks to finish the program; more like 5 or 6 months.  And if I am remembering correctly, I couldnt even run the 60 seconds at a time that the first week starts you at!  It was more like 30 second runs with 2 minute walks. 

I took my time, I tried not to get discouraged (and I did sometimes, anyway), and tried to avoid injury (and I did avoid running injuries, but I sprained my knee while ice skating, keeping me from running for a full 8 weeks), and ultimately, I met my goal of running a 10 minute mile. 

Now I can run multiple 10 minute miles and I am working towards a half marathon this November. 

Good luck.  I know you can do it. 
Paul C.
on 4/27/11 5:29 am - Cumming, GA
I did the Same thing Nate did.  .1 mile walk .1 mile jog I did this for 3-4 miles. As I became more comfortable with the run portion I would increase the distance .1 miles.  Once I started training on a treadmill is when I really started seeing an increase in my performance as I couldn't make little microadjustments to my pace and not know it.  The treadmill frced me to run a more steady pace, as I became more comfortable I would increase speed on distance or do some sort of interval so I am not just doing the same run every time.

The day before my surgery it took me 75 minutes to walk 4 miles.  Now I can do it in a little less than 50 minutes.  My 5K time has dropped from 47 minutes to 31-33 minutes in 6 months of training.

For me the key was having a goal in place and then building a plan to get me to that goal, C25K didn't work so I found something that worked for me.  But it does take some dedication and commitment.  Oh and don't forget GOOD SHOES!  from a running store.

Great job so far and good luck!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Kathy J.
on 4/27/11 5:37 am - Flint, MI

I am teaching myself also.  I started a few months ago on the treadmill.  I run 1 min. walk 2 min I am running up to 5.0.  I am trying to get ready for my 1st 5k run.  I walked 8 races last year and I want to run at least 1 race.  I set goals for myself, I am going to walk my first half marathon this year and next year I want to walk a full marathon.  Maybe one day I can run those marathon.  Good Luck with you goal.

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/28/11 3:14 am - Windsor, Canada
Couch to 5K here - did it in January on the treadmill.

Completed it and could run 30 minutes straight on the treadmill.

In March, went to ground and was extremely heartbroken as I had to start
completely from the beginning. Treadmill does not equal the ground.

I'm back to interval training.

Did my first 5K two weekends ago  doing intervals. I survived. have one planned next
weekend.  I figure I'll just keep working on transitioning to bigger running intervals and
I'll work to increase time.

My new Forerunner by Garmin really helps to inspire me with running.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

cow215
on 4/28/11 3:53 am
Melissa,
I hope how soon you are telling us about you running your first mile. I am in the same boat. I too want to run so badly. I have lost over 60 lbs and wanting to set out and do so many things, but have always wanted to be a runner. Good luck to you Melissa!!!!
Most Active