How did you "learn" to run?

Missy1975
on 4/26/11 5:08 am - Graham, NC
I have one specific goal.  I want to be able to run 1 mile.  I'm not trying to run 5k's or marathons, I just want to be able to run a mile without stopping.  I've never been able to run even when I was a child or a thinner adult.  I always feel like my chest is going to explode. 

Recently, I've been attempting to "teach" myself to run.  Right now I've progressed to walking 2 minutes at 3.5 and then running a minute at 4.4.  I'm able to do this for 30 minutes but I'm dead tired when I'm done and my face is fifty shades of red.  I'm keeping a close eye on my pulse rate. Right now it gets up to about 165 at the end of my minute of running.  My chest is feeling less and less like exploding but is still very uncomfortable.  Also my legs are so tired by the end of the 30 minutes. I really don't understand why I can walk at a 4.0 and feel ok, but amping it up .4 miles an hour and running makes me wish for death? I've read on the internet to count steps and breathe on x number of breaths and in through my nose out through my mouth, etc.  Who the heck can count and think so much? Not me!

Are there any of you that were never able to run but are runners now?  I'm trying to not have self-defeating thoughts but I'm just so unsure that I will ever reach this goal :(
Melissa

nate2009
on 4/26/11 5:30 am - Lebanon, OH
It takes time. I started by walking .10 and jogging .10 and then to walking.10 and jogging .20 and so on until I got to the point of no walking. The hardest part is giving yourself time to adjust to what you are doing. Your body is not used to what you are doing so it fights back. Don't be critical of yourself and just push to do a little more each day. Before you know it you'll get hooked and be training for a 5k,10k,or a half ! Good luck!
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
Missy1975
on 4/26/11 6:08 am - Graham, NC
You're definitely right...my body if sure fighting back.  After I get the one minute running intervals down I think I'll move up to the .10 like you suggested!
Melissa

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/11 1:08 am - TX
I think that time is the key factor here. I had to run a one mile run last summer for a test for karate, and I trained for four months. Starting at zero (where walking at 3.5 was leaving me breathless) and eventually getting to running the entire mile in a little less than 11 minutes (started at 16 mimutes, walking.) It took FOUR months for me to do that! I went four times a week per the advice of a trainer, to give myself a day in between to heal. I did walk on my off days though.

I am forty pounds less than I was last summer NOW, and I am on that same road again. I hope to run a solid mile in less than ten minutes in about 6-8 weeks.
crystal M.
on 4/26/11 6:50 am - Joliet, IL
I am going through it right now.  I started the Couch to 5K program awhile back....but I am progressing much slower than the program wants you to.  The program wants you to go to the next level every week and I haven't been able to do that.  So I have been moving at my own pace to the next level.  It's been slow going but I can see the progress I am making.  It does take time and patience...even though I'm not very patient I am not over doing it.  

A question- Do you know your target heart rate zone?  You might be going way over your heart rate zone and that's why you are red and ready to explode.  If you need to know how to figure out your target heart rate zone...just do a search for "how to find your target heart rate zone" on the internet.  You will find out your zone and try your best to stay within it.  

Good luck to both of us trying to run a mile...or a 5K (that's what I would like to do one day.  
Missy1975
on 4/26/11 10:53 am - Graham, NC
Congrats to you for the Couch to 5K program.  I got invited to try one but I was too scared to try it...maybe next time!  Thanks for the advice on the heart rate.  I have a Polar watch that tracks my heart rate.  I got it before my surgery and didn't like wearing it because the strap that goes around your chest was so uncomfortable to me.  I got it back out tonight and wore it while I rode my recumbent bike.  It was eye opening....I rode 45 minutes on the bike and the bike told me that I burned 580 calories. I've always figured the calorie burn the bike lists is off but never realized how badly off it was. My Polar watch (which I know keeps a more accurate account since it has a constant heart rate monitor) said 330 calories.   The good news is after losing 65 lbs. the chest strap is much less uncomfortable! I kept my  heart rate between my target of 125-140 and my face wasn't nearly as red.  I'm not sure I can keep it in that zone while running but I'm gonna take it to the Y with me tomorrow.
Melissa

DANCBJAMMIN
on 4/26/11 8:08 am - Fort Worth, TX
3 years ago after surgery, I could barely walk for 10 minutes at 3.0... A couple months back, I ran a 50 mile trail run in just under 11 hours, and last year I ran 76 miles in 19 hours. It takes time, dedication, and consistent effort. Always remember the will to win means nothing without the will to train. Take it slow and you will make steady progress. I bet you will be at your goal in a few weeks!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Missy1975
on 4/26/11 10:46 am - Graham, NC
Simply Amazing and INSPIRING!
Melissa

cabin111
on 4/26/11 8:29 am
My 2 cents...For what it's worth.  I would just walk fast...over longer and longer distances for the next few months.  By doing that (rather than get discouraged about running) you will be building up lung capacity, strenghening your heart, and toning the muscles.  As you lose more weight then proceed to the Couch to 5 K program.
Missy1975
on 4/26/11 10:19 am - Graham, NC
That's good advice.  I've been walking, riding the recumbant bike and doing the elliptical for the past 6 months and am doing well with them but running has always eluded me.  I'm going to keep at the exercise no matter what but have always had the itch to be able to run.  I promise not to let it get me down though.
Melissa

Most Active