How you look at it

Seht
on 3/30/10 7:16 am
So I was looking at a post on the main board.  Yeah I venture there some times.  I know it's dangerous, but when It's slow here I go look there.

Anyhow the topic of did weight loss surgery change how you look at things and act was posted.
Did it change the way you carried on your regular day to day activities, especially those that may not actually have anything to do with your weight.

I had a similar conversation with a local friend of mine who had WLS also and we were discussing being judgemental of other obese people.

I find that I do that at the gym.  Not hey look at that fatty, but for example all the New Years resolution people at the gym.  You know two weeks after the first, half of them would be gone and two months later you would be lucky to see two people who were there before the first of the year.
I catch myself doing that and have to say, you know what at least they are there now, and they are trying.  How many times did I go through that.......  Too many to count.  It's too easy to forget where you came from.

I guess it's like the non smokers vs. the smokers, vs. the former smokers.  It's pretty easy to get into that preachy, judgmental state.

So do you find yourself doing or thinking things that you would have found offensive when you were obese.

Just wondering.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Cassie W.
on 3/30/10 12:30 pm
For me, my heart breaks when I see people who have gone through surgery, but have been unable to change their lifestyle to keep the weight off for life.   Whenever I talk about RNY, I point out that the surgeon rerouted my intestines.  He didn't remove my taste buds or those deep recesses of my brain that prefers a hit of chocolate when stressed, bored, etc. 

I try not to be too judgmental, because I know I battle my demons daily.  When it comes to food, I recognize that I am an addict.  I will always be an addict.  Excercise and behavior modification help me stay on track, but it would be so easy to fall back into old habits without the support that I receive by coming here daily.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

mcarthur01
on 3/30/10 12:45 pm - Cumming, GA
i look at it from a slightly different angle (i'm also with cassie, i will battle food issues for the rest of my life).   i look at it like:  that was me, i don't want to be back there again.  i try not to be judgemental, i always think that you have to start somewhere, but without a major commitment to lifestyle change, it won't make a difference.  i've been there, as most of us have.  i'm just trying to make sure i don't slip up too much, that is my biggest fear.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

nate2009
on 3/30/10 10:18 pm - Lebanon, OH
I don't judge because I was there many times also. My biggest fear is going back. I to strugle with food as well but right or wrong I am trying to transfer my addiction to the gym. It is a much healthier addiction than pizza and nacho's.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
superconducting
on 3/30/10 10:26 pm - Montgomery, NY
I've caught myself at times wondering why the heck some people don't go get surgery already and get moving, and have to pull myself back and make myself remember my own journey (how I looked at surgery for 8 years before getting it done...)..  Every once in a while I see some large guy chowing down on a big burger at the mall or something, and I want to run over and slap him, but again, I usually pull myself back and give myself a slap.  I also have to remember I didn't take a magic pill, and I could very easily go back to the old lifestyle.

When you hear people who have never really dealt with addiction of any kind speak so naively about how "easy" it would be to walk away, and judging people when they backslide back into old destructive habits, it really ****** me off.  Eating disorders/addictions are no different, and I tell myself that  every day, and it certainly helps keep me from being judgmental. 

Seht
on 3/30/10 11:48 pm
Food is a daily struggle for me.  Not just daily, but constantly every day.
I have to write down every little thing and count every little calorie.  There are days where I would like nothing more than to sit at the all you can eat restaurant or pizza place and chow down.

I think some of my bad attitude that I have to keep in check and remind myself of where I came from is due to listening to all the stories about how they just can't do it.  Well I know that isn't true.  You, me, everyone here has proven that you can do it.

With Kaiser they required a 10-20% weight loss prior to the surgery.  I hear upcoming patients complain, I'm dieting and I just don't lose any weight.  I try not to judge, and I have to bring myself back to where I was when I went through it.  Not everyone is the same, not everyone is as focused.  I starved myself to lose that 20%.  I ate less food to drop that 20% than I eat now.  I lived on chicken breasts and protein bars.  So when I hear them say they can't do it, I want to scream B.S. but I put on the smile and preach encouragement.  I have tried to organize walking groups, running groups, exercise activities, and I have maybe 6 people participate the first week, then the second week I had 3 people and they weren't the same original 6, then the third week it was down to 0.  Several weeks later I'd get emails, hey are you still doing the xyz thing I want to do it.  Nope sorry I have moved on.  This is my healthy exercise time that I was sharing, I don't have time to waste on people that aren't going to commit.

I am happy to see anyone who walks in the gym though.  I know initially I would think o.k. here is another New Years resolution that will be gone in 2 weeks.  Now I try to say, hey they are here and it's a first step.  Good luck.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active