Race Report - My half

KittenLove
on 3/30/10 3:23 am - Around Knoxville, TN
Ok, this is my first race report so bear with me

-While i was anticipating rain (and that it poured the whole way there and when i got up at 430 am) the rain actually held out till 15 minutes after i finished except a few sprinkles.

- I had a bowl of oatmeal with 2 TBLSPN peanut butter in it about 1.5 hours prior to start and did fine...I did try a GU gel around mile 11 (not even 1/4 of a pack).

- starting off I really had to mentally pace myself...its so easy to get caught up in the excitement and just take off but i didn't...and it paid off b/c when the hills came, I RAN UP every single one of them and passed so many people; however, i struggled going down them b/c of my bummed right knee (i have issues going down stairs, too and have to take them one at a time).

- I cried when I entered Neyland Stadium. They showed me on the Jumbotron and called my name over the loudspeaker...whoa. it was emotionally overwhelming.

- i ran it all except about .25-.30 of a mile total. when i walked that little bit it was only b/c of my knee, not cardio conditioning, etc which i was proud of. My official time was 2:58 and while I wanted 2.5, my initial goal when I signed up for this back in January was less than 3 hours and i did that

- I think I've come a long way since my first race ever (a 5K on New Year's Day).

- For my next one, I will definitely work on leg strength, especially quads. other than that, it was AWESOME!

oh, one other thing, the knoxville news sentinel had a whole section dedicated to the event yesterday. The race included a half, a full, and a 5K (which Sherry from this season's Biggest Loser ran) and they interviewed the winners of the full and the half and both of them have run races all over. They commented on this being such a difficult course b/c of the hills --yay me for tackling them!!

Lots of improvements to be made but I have it under my belt and I'm a happy girl I also now have a magnet on my car that says Runner Girl.

Be happy. 

Linn D.
on 3/30/10 3:29 am - Missoula, MT

Nice job!

We're all proud of you too!!!  You never get back the first experience, and I'm so glad it was a good one for you.

Linn
superconducting
on 3/30/10 3:31 am - Montgomery, NY
 way to go runner girl! 

Duane1064
on 3/30/10 3:39 am - Bloomington, IN
Way to go!!!!  Crossing that finish line the first time is awesome.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Seht
on 3/30/10 3:49 am
Congrats!

Great job,

You deserve to celebrate and be proud of your accomplishments.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MaryS
on 3/30/10 4:17 am - Long Island, NY
Congratulations - you did a great job!
Rob S.
on 3/30/10 4:34 am - DE
Congratulations.  Now you can put the first one in the memory books.  Give yourself and your knee some time to rest before embarking on your next endeavor.
Rob
DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/30/10 4:49 am - Fort Worth, TX
Way to go... GREAT JOB!!! On to the next adventure...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

mcarthur01
on 3/30/10 5:02 am - Cumming, GA
congrats on the great report and great race.  that is really cool that it ends in Neyland Stadium.  I actually went to grad school @ UT and used to have an office in the old rec hall next to/sorta underneath the stadium...
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

larkinwelch
on 3/30/10 5:23 am
I am so happy for you! Your post is so inspiring for me! I will run my first half marathon on April 11, 2010 at the America's Run at the Cowboy Stadium! I am so excited! Congratulations!

Most Active