Tyler Azalea Run

Hawgman
on 3/30/10 2:17 am - TX
Hey guys quick report on a 10K I ran Saturday.  The reason I chose to report on this race is it was the first 10K I ran last year after surgery.

The people in Tyler are wonderful.  Not just the race people, but the people at the hotel, the people at the restaurant, etc.  I drove in Friday evening, wanted to eat and be in the hotel to watch the Baylor Bear men play their basketball game.  Went to the local IHOP for some pancakes.  I think I have come up with a new carbo loading tradition...IHOP pancakes.  Knocked out those and went and checked in to the hotel and settled in to watch the bears.  Drifted off to sleep sometime during the second half.  Woke up around 5 and ate a bagel with some peanut butter and got my mind right.  Went out to the truck to go to the race at about 6:30, and I couldn't get out of the parking lot because somebody had me blocked in.  Just a little bit irritated at this point.  Went to the front desk and the guy there was very helpful.  The truck happened to have Oklahoma plates so he started calling all the guests that had an Oklahoma address.  Luckily he got the right guy on the second call and he came down and moved his truck.

Got to the race site about 7:15, got my packet and jogged about a mile to warm up and then streched out and got ready for the race.  There were about 700 runners including the 10k and 2 mile folks.  My goal was to set a new PR for my 10k.  Previous PR being a 57:44.  Started off running a 9:00 pace and felt really good.  Didn't want to go out too fast and burn out.  Got to the 3 mile mark and was cruising at about an 8:45 and felt great.  Had plenty in the tank.  A few people passed me, but I was the one doing most of the passing, especially on the hills.  When we hit the 6 mile mark, I as determined to keep my pace at around 8:30 the rest of the way.  I had the Garmin on the pace mode, so I didn't know my elasped time.  Ran as hard as I could the last 400 meters and stopped my watch at 54:01.  I was excited about that time and new it was unofficial, I was pumped when I checked my official time Saturday afternoon and saw it was 53:59.1.  New PR by 3 mins and 45 secs.  Yeah baby!!!!!!!
I am so thankful for this tool that allows me to compete and be in great physical condition.  Thanks as always goes out to the people on this site that keep me inspired.  Next race is America's Run Half at Jerry World in Arlington, TX. 
DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/30/10 2:26 am - Fort Worth, TX
Great job bro!!! Congrats on the new PR,  thats good stuff. When is the race in Arlington?
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

mcarthur01
on 3/30/10 2:57 am - Cumming, GA
sweet PR!  that is an awesome improvement.  congrats!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Linn D.
on 3/30/10 3:14 am - Missoula, MT
Nice 10k PR!!  Especially nice that it happened at a special race.

Great job!

Linn 
Seht
on 3/30/10 3:18 am
Great job, congrats on the new P.R.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Scott William
on 3/30/10 9:48 pm
Way to go man. PR's Kick ass. Congrats!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Hawgman
on 3/31/10 4:01 am - TX
Thanks for the support, friends!!

America's Run is on April 11th.
Most Active