Complex.....

Wannabhealthy barbie
on 3/28/10 2:00 am

I am in my groove at the gym now, I have my favorite treadmill and go do my cardio and leave. BUT I want to start weight training and the machines are always busy so I get intimated and leave. And when I am doing the weight machines I feel like everyone is saying "look at the fat girl"! Anyone else feel awkward around gym people? Or feel like everyone is staring at you?

Linn D.
on 3/28/10 5:19 am - Missoula, MT
I can pretty much guarantee that most people are concerned with just doing their own thing.  If anything, most people think it's great when heavier people are working out.  You have to start somewhere.  

One thing I always try to do at my gym is make conversation with someone who looks like they feel like a fish out of water to break the ice a little and encourage them with what they are doing.  You might try asking someone you see at the same times you're at the gym who seems friendly to give you a pointer or two.  Who knows, you just might make a really good new friend.

If you feel awkward, it's all you.  If you feel and act confident, that's what people will see - regardless the size of the person.  I see tiny timid people too and also try to encourage them.  It's all good, and you're all there for the same thing - improving your health.

Linn
Katie H.
on 3/28/10 5:31 am - Charlton, MA
Before I started working with a trainer I was doing the Nautilus machines pretty regularly and before that I was just doing my cardio and leaving.  When I decided that I wanted to make the move to try the machines I would go in with a list (actually written down) on a note card of what I was going to do that day.  I wouldn't let myself leave until I did everything on the list.  I felt a little better with having something concrete, so I knew what I needed to do.  Start out small and just add a few machines, get used to them, then add a few more.  Before you know it you'll have your own little routine and be so in your zone that you won't even realize that there are other people at the gym - except if they're in your way or on the machine you want!!

If you've got the opportunitiy to try going to the gym at a different time that may help.  I know I hate going after work because there's always a bunch of high school age kids in the free weight area, so I go in the mornings or later, like 6 or 7pm.  On the weekends if I go first thing when they open it's never as busy as mid-day.  But again, that all depends on what your schedule allows.

No worries, I guarantee that the people at the gym aren't staring at you!  And in time they will be staring, but it'll only be because they are jealous of your crazy progress!! 

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

Most Active