Some photos of my last bike ride

Seht
on 3/29/10 2:30 am, edited 3/29/10 6:27 am
http://racetotherace.blogspot.com/2010/03/training-ride-part -ouch.html
hmm looks like that link might not be working.  If it doesn't you can try this one.
http://racetotherace.blogspot.com/

I posted some photos of my last bike ride through the Sonoma Coastal hills.
This is really a beautiful area.  If anyone is ever traveling out this way and would like to take a great ride, just let me know and I'll try to set one up that you will be sure to enjoy.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Kathy P.
on 3/29/10 4:27 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Beautiful pics Scott!  The second link worked.
           I cannot imagine a 27% grade! Good Grief!   

So when you are heading up, how often are you switching your gears? What gear do you typically hit on the flat road?  I am still trying to figure out the entire gearing thing...and experimenting as I go.

Gone are the days of my old banana seat, single speed bike with the playing cards stuck on the spokes LOL !!!  I miss those days!!!

Great blog and inspirational!
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
Seht
on 3/29/10 11:58 pm
My current bike has a triple front ring.  My next bike will be a compact 2 ring setup.  I have never counted the gears on my current bike so I'm not exactly sure what the ration of teeth are front to back.
When I was climbing the steepest part of that hill, I was in my granny gear
Smallest ring on the front and largest on the back.  I didn't know it was possible to ride a bike at 2 mph, but that's what the Garmin said I was doing at that point.

Generally I start shifting down as soon as the percieved effort starts to increase.  I don't want to try to shift when I have a lot of stress on the bike, by then it's too late anyhow.  I don't want to hear the bike struggle when I'm shifting.  A good shift for me and there shouldn't be any sound, the bike should just get easier to pedal.

As for the flats, I put the bike in the biggest gear setup I can without burning myself out.  I try for as much speed as I can get without feeling like I'm burning myself up.  Once you get going it's just a matter of keeping yourself moving.  I try to keep the bike at 20-23 mph or so on the flats, and downhill as fast as I can go.  On this set of hills the speed was up so much that I could have it in the big gears, and still not feel any effort.  The bike was going faster than the gears that were available.

Scott

SuziJones
on 3/31/10 1:29 am
I soo wish I could have taken that ride with you! It's beautiful!! I know I could not have made it nearly as quickly, or as far, but it would have been such a beautiful area to ride!

Please keep posting! I can't wait to see your ride through the wine country! Just a lovely area! How lucky you are to live there. Now I'll have to make an excuse to come and bike ride with you!! hehe
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
Seht
on 3/31/10 1:41 am
It is nice.  The only problem with some of these nice rides is that the terrain to get there is a bit of effort, so you end up missing some of the scenery while trying not to cough up a lung.
However when you get to the top, the views are worth it and you can forget the climb for a minute.

This is the ride for the 11th assuming it isn't still raining.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/38470

Most Active