How do you know if you are eating to much when you are exercising alot?

robinfrommilw
on 3/28/10 10:50 am - WI
Very frustrated with the scale. How much calories is everyone eating while exercising? Is 1300 to 1400 calories to much. Some days I am doing 2 hours or more of exercise and burning over 1100 calories or more a day. My protein is between 80 to 100 gms a day and drinking 8 glasses of water a day. When I workout I have a 32 oz of water with me and drink all of it during my workout.
Sunday workout. 65 min on elipitical, burn 780 calories, 5.71 miles then 40 min on treadmill hills level 14 burn 285 calories and 1.81 miles. Then I relax in the whirlpool for 20 minutes that felt good. Still weigh the same as yesterday 172.2

Well got my ball workout in 100 push ups, 200 sit ups and 200 sitting twist with weighted balls while watching aliens in the attic with the kids today

I do eat some carbs here is what I ate today so far

multigrain cheerios with skim milk and bananna
Orange (in the car on the way to gym to give me fuel for my workout)
Eas protein shake
power crunch protein bar
rotisserie chicken with no skin and only white meat
small order of mashed potates made with skim milk
peas
kosher dill pickle only has 5 calories
lettuce, cucumber, shredded carrots, american cheese no dressing
popcorn with i can't believe its not butter spray has no calories or fat
2 sugar free popsicles for both only 30 calories.

Saturday I did 65 min on the elipitical and 40 min on the treadmill. I usually can 65 min on the treadmill if I am not doing the weight machines. Which I just start the weight machines yesterday and today I didn't do them give my body a rest for a day. Just did cardio. Still got to to do my ball exercises yet. I do them at home usually sit ups and push ups and sometimes sitting twist with a weighted ball.

I hate plateau's after 5 weeks of no gym do to my hysterectomy I was like I got to get moving again. And that is what I been doing since last week Saturday. I also getting in my 8 glasses of water in a day plus all the protein as well. I just feel 1400 calories is to much after having the gastric bypass.

Friday's workout 65 min Eliptical 799 calories, 5.81 miles, 45 min weight machines did 2 sets some I did 25 reps and others I did 10 reps. then 35 min on the treadmill 234 calories 1.48 miles.

While watching days of our lives I did 100 push ups, 200 sit ups, 200 side twist all on the ball and sat the rest time watching days. Also had a salad with no dressing for lunch. For dinner I am having bbq chicken breast, baked potato both on the grill and some type of vegetable. And no I don't eat the skin off the chicken. And for breakfast I had multi grain cheerios with skim milk, bannana and had a protein bar and protein shake so far today. Not bad day of eating or exercise
Thursday workout 65 min elipitical 739 calories, 5.25 miles, 65 min treadmill up to level 13 on hills 426 calories, 2.75 miles. Then ball workout 100 push ups, 200 sit ups and 200 sitting twist on ball

I could post all the way back to Saturday 3/20/10 but that would get long. Just want to see what my exercise is and what I am eating. Getting anywhere from 80 to 100 gms of protein and 64 oz of water. The scale start to drop to 169.4 after a day or so at the gym but now it is back up to 172.2 just seems I can't get out of the 170's. Am I eating to much? I am tired of looking at this wrinkle up skin and flab on my body. Trying my best to tone it up as much as possible. I know this isn't going to happen over night. I am struggling with body image. I still see myself as this obese person.

I am only 8 months out today and feel that maybe I am eating to much? How many calories should I be consuming after 8 months after RNY?
Robin from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Distal gastric bypass 7/28/09
6 month supervised diet done lost over 50 lbs pre-surgery
My facebook page is:
www.facebook.com/robinfrommilwaukee  (just put that you are from OH in message to add you to my facebook)     
       View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

August 2010 weight 138 lbs lost of 179.5 lbs but gain again since my gallbladder surgery Oct 2010 range recentlly my weight got up to 166 and I was in freak mode. I am now down to 152.6 hoping to get back to 135 and started generic wellbutrin

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/28/10 11:06 am - Fort Worth, TX
I think you need to throw your scale away, or stay off it for a few days... You weight yourself everyday and that is not good. Keep doing what you are doing. I bet you are losing inches though. Stay the course...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Linn D.
on 3/28/10 11:34 am - Missoula, MT
I'm with Dan!

The scale can be a pretty big issue.  I don't weigh myself very often - only if my clothes are getting either tight or loose.  You're only 8 months out, and stalls are common at about that stage.  Keep doing all the right things, because that's really where it's at for the long haul.

Linn

robinfrommilw
on 3/28/10 11:41 am - WI
Are my calories to high or to low with all the exercising I am doing? I been at stall for awhile now and it is driving me crazy. I notice my clothes are looser. Guess I need to take measurments as well.
Robin from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Distal gastric bypass 7/28/09
6 month supervised diet done lost over 50 lbs pre-surgery
My facebook page is:
www.facebook.com/robinfrommilwaukee  (just put that you are from OH in message to add you to my facebook)     
       View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

August 2010 weight 138 lbs lost of 179.5 lbs but gain again since my gallbladder surgery Oct 2010 range recentlly my weight got up to 166 and I was in freak mode. I am now down to 152.6 hoping to get back to 135 and started generic wellbutrin

Sue M.
on 3/28/10 12:19 pm - Nantucket, MA

My unmedical guess is that you are either exercising too much or not eating enough.  You seem to be working off as much as you are taking in, leaving nothing for your body to live off of.  This can cause a stall as your body will hang on to whatever it can.

I would experiment with doing less, or eating more.

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
MacMadame
on 3/28/10 3:36 pm - Northern, CA
If you are operating at a calorie deficit, then you're losing weigh****er weight can mask it on the scale for a while and heavy exercising can cause you to retain water. I never lose weight the first week that I increase my exercise intensity.

But the only way to know for sure is:

(1) log all your food so you know exactly how many calories you are consuming. Btw, this includes weighing and measuring when it's not in convenient serving sizes. Studies have shown that people who don't log their food are off by as much as 2x. Which means people who think they are consuming 800 calories often are consuming as much as 1600.

(2) figure your calories burned via a HRM with a chest strap. The machines at the gym, online formulas, etc. are not accurate. A HRM isn't accurate for things like strength training either but a good one should be accurate to 90% for cardio.

If you are doing that and you *know* you are operating at a calorie deficit, don't sweat it. You'll wake up one day and 5-10 lb. will have dropped off according to the scale. If you aren't doing that then start and see what you learn. Problems will be obvious from your logs.

Oh and 64 oz. of water is probably NOT enough for the exercise level you are doing. And, if you don't drink enough water, your body will retain it.

No one can tell you if your calories are enough or too much though because it depends on too many factors. But you'll know if you log stuff. It will become obvious.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

superconducting
on 3/28/10 7:35 pm - Montgomery, NY
 These folks gave you great advice.  Just wanted to add that for me its the same and it is a bit perplexing.  I log all my calories religiously, and it always makes me scratch my head when in a week when I'm running 25 miles and I know my calories are good, the scale does nothing.. this last week I was away on business, didn't work our nearly like I normally do, ate like a pig, including simple carbs, and I was down a few pounds when I got back.  

Not sure it makes any sense - but I do know by working out hard we're getting in better shape and getting healthier, and isn't that what is really important?  (well, that and having buns of steel) :)  

Most Active