Some answers

saxman007
on 3/28/10 10:09 am - Port Huron, MI
Well,
Been debating about posting my last appointment with my sports medicine doctor.  Stress test came back negative and the blood work all came back normal except  for my  blood glucose level.  It came back at 65.  Now I did get the blood work drawn immediately after the stress test.  When I looked back on my past blood work my blood sugar level tends to hover in the low 70's and my sodium levels while normal are still on the lowest edge of normal.  
The doctor thinks its possible that when I exercise I'm bottoming these numbers out.  
At some point I will be doing a glucose test and also a tilt-table test.  
So while there really aren't any answers as to what's going on at least we know that I'm not dealing with a looming heart attack.
--Sax
DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/28/10 11:03 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thank goodness for that bro!!! Keep us updated...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Linn D.
on 3/28/10 11:15 am - Missoula, MT
Well Dan, I think those "this isn't it" answers are important also.  So, one major thing ruled out.  On to the next.  Sometimes the "this is it" answers are the hardest to come by.  Your blood work tested for B12 also, right?  With my recent issues, that's a question I think I'll ask often.  Thanks for the update.

Linn 
saxman007
on 3/28/10 2:42 pm - Port Huron, MI
One of my diabetic students gave me a glucometer and tonight I went from 166 to 64 in about an hour and a half.  Towards the end my lightheadedness got pretty bad -- I'm beginning to really think that's what is going on with me.  About 2-3 hours after exercising I'm dropping my glucose level to the mid 50's/60's causing other issues.
And Dan/Linn the ruling out of things was the most important thing I could've hoped from the appointment.
--Dan
MacMadame
on 3/28/10 3:20 pm - Northern, CA
A complication of RnY is reactive hypoglycemia. Do you think it could be that?

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Linn D.
on 3/28/10 10:43 pm - Missoula, MT
I was trying to find the articles that I read last semester regarding what Marie said.  It's common after RNY for the body to put out as much insulin after losing weight as it did when we were heavier.  I know I can get hypoglycemic about 45 minutes to an hour after I eat - even when I eat a high protein meal.  I usually do okay during exercise, but it's that first real meal afterwards that takes me into a tailspin.  It's worse for me when I exercise in the mornings (which is the norm for me), so I make sure I have an extra snack to have midmorning.  One other thing that some of the studies showed was that most people were hypoglycemic, but weren't noticeably symptomatic.

I also think it's worse for those of us who weren't insulin resistant prior to WLS.

Linn

mcarthur01
on 3/28/10 11:22 pm - Cumming, GA
i feel for you.  hopefully you'll figure out the mystery sooner than later. 

on the blood sugar front.  i've had a dozen or more hypglycemic attacks, usually after a major workout or event and sometimes if i eat too much sugar after a workout.  i will start shaking and sweating so bad out of nowhere that i have to change my clothes (no joke), i'll see color spots, my heart will race a million miles, and i get light headed.  when it first happened, i was convinced i was having a panic attack.  i typically have to guzzle some choc milk or eat something sugary to snap out of it.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Seht
on 3/28/10 11:46 pm
This happens to me too.  I had my doc give me a glucometer to check my blood sugars when this happens.
Sure enough they are down in the low 40's.  I find that it tends to happen mostly at night.  I don't think I have ever had this happen to me after a morning workout.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Seht
on 3/28/10 11:44 pm
It's great to hear that it isn't your heart.  However the stress of not knowing what is going on can be pretty unbearable.  Try to keep your spirits up and take care of yourself.

Keep us updated on how you are doing.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active