Anyone completed a race in the rain?

KittenLove
on 3/26/10 6:10 am - Around Knoxville, TN
tomorrow is supposed to be picture perfect here in East TN..and Sunday? cold and rainy...and the event is rain or shine. Nice.

Tips here?

Be happy. 

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/26/10 7:36 am - Fort Worth, TX
Run and have fun... Running in the rain is AWESOME!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Sue M.
on 3/26/10 10:46 am - Nantucket, MA
my first and thus far, only race was a 5K in the rain.  you just do it.  I trained in the rain the other night: running tights, long sleeve under armour shirt, fleece jacket, ball cap. 

Good luck!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Katie H.
on 3/26/10 11:04 am - Charlton, MA
My first race this year was in the pouring rain in the beginning of March - but it was my favorite race so far (okay, so it's only my third total, but still my favorite!!)  It was mid-30's, pouring and windy as can be.  I had on my tights, UA long sleeve, t-shirt, gloves & a poncho for about 3 seconds before I decided that I was NOT going to be able to run in it!! 

Make sure you've got dry stuff to change into afterwards & something warm to drink!!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

mcarthur01
on 3/26/10 1:18 pm - Cumming, GA
once you get into the zone, you won't even notice it... go for it!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

superconducting
on 3/26/10 11:32 pm - Montgomery, NY
 Good luck!!!!   I am a week behind you!

Scott William
on 3/27/10 3:59 am
If it's warm enough, wear as little as possible. Bring an extra pair of shoes and socks for after if you are hanging around the area.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MacMadame
on 3/27/10 5:33 am - Northern, CA
My first 5k was rainy. But it stopped raining for the time I was out there running, which was nice. Just as I crossed the finish line, it started misting again!

I've started doing outside workouts in the rain as a way to experience that before a race in case any of my other races end up being rainy. So far, none of them have been too excruciating. Yeah!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

saxman007
on 3/28/10 9:57 am - Port Huron, MI
 Disney half-marathon this year in sleet - talk about suck factor!!!  Not only was it cold -- it was sleeting.  All in all though, I did PB in this so I can't complain too much.
Did a triathlon that the rain held off for the swim.  The bike was tricky due to wet pavement, run was refreshing with the rain.
Like others have said, running in the rain (as long as it's above 40) tends to be a good thing!
--Dan
puddin2day
on 3/29/10 8:05 am - Los Angeles, CA
Running in the rain sucks, but if you can get through it, you will be a better person, IMHO.  I had to do it last year in Pasadena.  Maybe cut out some holes in a trash bag and disgard it when you warm up?

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Most Active