Hello Everyone, first time poster.

cheynne03
on 3/24/10 7:22 am - West Monroe, LA
Hello everyone.  I am a first time poster here.  I have a few questions that perhaps some of you may can answer.  I am a walker, I love it.  I want to be a jogger, but the other day when I mustered the courage to run (In Public) I may have overdone it.  Now, my knees are really hurting.  I tried this twice and now I can hardly even walk.  So I have been alternating on my elliptical and walking very slowly.  No more jogging.  Yesterday I felt really good, so I took some Bayer and went for my fast walk.  Did 45 minutes at a very good rate of speed.  Now today my knees are killing me.  I want to go again today but I seriously doubt I will be able to do more than the elliptical.  What can I do to strenghten my knees?

Theresa

S 254/C168/G150   
          "Patience is the companion of wisdom."  St. Augustine

Scott William
on 3/24/10 8:10 am
I'd do a google search for runners knee exercises and see what pops up. I know that my knees hurt and I do leg extensions, hamstring curls, ball squats, leg press and others. There are exercises that strengthen the muscles around the knees. It sounds like you are starting slowly and that is great. Good luck and welcome.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
cheynne03
on 3/25/10 1:59 am - West Monroe, LA
Thank you so much for your reply.  I will check out the link below.  I am beginning slow because I have to.  LOL!  I love being outside and I have always wonted to be a runner, but have always been too large.  I will get there, I have found that if I take a couple of Ibuprofen about 30 minutes before I walk, I can manager a really fast pace walk, so it will get there and I will be patient.

Theresa

S 254/C168/G150   
          "Patience is the companion of wisdom."  St. Augustine

Linn D.
on 3/24/10 10:01 am - Missoula, MT
Another really good idea would be to get a consult with a physical therapist or exercise physiologist and have them give you some exercises and pointers on your running form.  Bad form can also cause undue stress and injury.

Linn 
SuziJones
on 3/24/10 1:36 pm
I posted this nearly very same topic a couple of weeks ago!! hehe

I'm much fatter then you are, but they gave me the same suggestions as they have for you and I have started to work on building up the strength in my legs/knees. I start my jogging/walking program again tonight.

Best wishes and healing prayers to you!!
Welcome to the forum and look forward to getting to know you and reading your posts!! LOADS of wonderful people here that have just been super great and supportive and a wealth of information!
*big welcoming hug*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
niffer1283
on 3/24/10 7:18 pm - Richmond, IN
I'm not a runner, so I don't have any suggestions for you...just wanted to welcome you to the board!

Jenny
He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue. ~~ Benjamin Franklin

RNY 05/29/2008
http://www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

superconducting
on 3/24/10 8:33 pm - Montgomery, NY
 make sure you have good running shoes fitted for you and with the correct support.  Makes a big difference.  I also suffered through pain in the knees a lot early on whenever I pushed too hard, and still when I pu**** too hard.  Most will say don't push through pain, if it hurts, tone things down... but of course there is pain, and then there is PAIN.  

Most Active