Any other Equestrians here?

Thundergrrrl
on 3/24/10 2:12 am
I know there is a board for horses but no one is on it! Horseback riding is probably one of the most underestimated sports in terms of the athletic ability required and I'd love to talk to others who are into it. I've been riding for 18 years (since I was 6) and have owned horses and ridden English and Western since I was 11.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

msromagnola
on 3/24/10 3:15 am
Hi - I wouldn't call myself an equestrian - but we've ridden horses my whole life --- except I stopped in my 20's - that's 20 years ago- because I could no longer haul myself myself up in the saddle without a step.  We still have one horse - she's just a pet - she's blind in one eye.  This is in fact, my one stated goal after weight loss (hoping - I'm only 10 days out RNY)- get a horse again.
Thundergrrrl
on 3/24/10 3:58 am
Oh, awesome! Well, I wish you the best at getting back into the saddle. My highest weight was 273 and I never stopped riding but it sure it easier back down in the 250s. Not that I would know now cause I can't ride for 5 more weeks But hey, by that time I might be in the 240s or even high 230s so it'll hopefully just get better and better.

niffer1283
on 3/24/10 4:25 am - Richmond, IN
I grew up on horses, used to show in 4-H and open shows, the whole shebang. We lived on an 80 acre farm and most days in the summer I'd be up early in the morning and out riding with my friends, and not get bac****il evening. Those were the days! We had quarter horses, and I had the most beautiful dun buckskin in the world. We also had a big (almost 17 hands) palomino, plus various and sundry others! I married a city boy, though, and haven't ridden in a long time. MAN, I miss trail riding. Now that I've lost 150 lbs., I could ride comfortably again. I gotta find the time to get back into it.

Jenny
He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue. ~~ Benjamin Franklin

RNY 05/29/2008
http://www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

ErinsClovers
on 3/24/10 5:37 am
 I have recently gotten out of the horse biz, but I too have been riding since I was little.  Even went to college for Equestrian Science.  I have ridden Hunters for most of my life.  I have also been a trainer for the past 10 years.  I miss it a lot, but needed to concentrate on family and myself.  It was hard to leave, I had to sell my horse, but life is good now and I am hoping to start riding again soon.

Erin

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/24/10 6:40 am - Fort Worth, TX
I race as a Clydesdale... Does that count?
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Thundergrrrl
on 3/24/10 9:35 am
Nope, sorry. Not unless you're riding one

Kathy Fisher
on 3/24/10 12:55 pm - Canada
My passion is horse. I used to own a few horses and then I got really fat..so the horses are a thing of the past for now. But I can't wait to ride again. I ride western. My mom has a couple horses that she doesn't ride so I can ride tem when I get down to about 230. I'm hoping for this labour day weekend.

Melissa1965
on 3/25/10 12:43 am, edited 3/25/10 12:44 am
Thanks for steering me in the direction of this thread.

I have only been riding for 5 years...actually 4 because last year I did not ride at all due to my weight. Never felt comfortable in the saddle.

My first horse was a Tennessee Walker and I had him for 3 1/2 years and sold him in 08 after a bad fall. Was going to get out of riding alltogether but loved it too much. So in Nov 08 a friend gave me her horse, A Peruvian Paso, who was a 17 year old stallion at the time and I gelded him. But I didn't ride him for almost a year...my daughter did and my friend did because I did not feel good putting my 268 lbs on his little 14.2 body.

This is my boy
7193e508.jpg picture by madele

and me on him at 202 lbs

IMG_4194Large.jpg picture by madele
HW 268/SW 255/CW 150/GW 160
Thundergrrrl
on 3/25/10 12:59 am
He is gorgeous!! Pasos are very cool. I worked at a Paso Fino farm in high school and took care of all the lovely well tempered stallions (not kidding!)

I wish I knew how to insert pictures.
Most Active