Decisions Decisions...

Jeff B.
on 3/22/10 1:43 pm - Gilbert, AZ
So I set a personal goal to complete a marathon on the 27th of this month. I have a 6.54 mile loop that start and ends exactly at my house. So a perfect stop to refuel, restroom and back at it. Based on my fitness, I have only been able to run at most 11 of the miles. That was primarily due to nutrition.

So my legs and base feel strong and I believe I can do it. My question for you marathoners / IM'rs out there, is it potentially detrimental to have at the marathon this Saturday? I'm back and forth on it. I want to keep the personal committment to myself for sure. I also want to take a realistic approach to this and know my limitations.

My gut says "screw it, I'm running the thing." Does anyone else have an opinion? 

Jeff
Scott William
on 3/22/10 2:34 pm
If you intentionally add in walk breaks from the beginning, you can cut down the risk of injury. Check out Jeff Galloway. Can you finish? Absolutely!!! Will you die? Probably not.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Duane1064
on 3/22/10 8:57 pm - Bloomington, IN
Jeff, for my two cents worth I'd say go through with it.  You've been training for it.  You said that you'd do it, so give it a try.  Run as much as you can and walk the rest if you have to.  Do not push yourself to the point of getting hurt though.  It's early in the season and you're not getting paid to finish the thing so do it safely.

Come race day you'll be amped up, nervous and full of adrenaline.  You'll probably do better than you'd ever imagine.  You never know what you can accomplish until you give it a try.  Just be safe in the process.  To borrow a quote from the book "Ultra Marathon Man" "Run what you can. Walk the rest.  Crawl if you must.  Just fini****"  I think that's an accurate quote....you get the message.  

Duane   

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Rob S.
on 3/22/10 9:53 pm - DE
Just my two cents.  With the lack of base miles, I would switch to a half marathon.  The training is what makes the marathon special.  If you had an 18 miler under your belt, I would say go for it.  Without a long run, you might get lucky, but you also might encounter some serious problems.  If you encounter an injury, the rest of the year could be shot.
Good luck with your decision.
Rob
Scott William
on 3/23/10 9:39 pm
Rob makes a good point.  It is the training that makes it special.  Many people could go out and finish the distance but that is really not the point.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/22/10 10:16 pm - Fort Worth, TX
I agree with Rob.... DO the half and try to tear it up... to do 15 miles LONGER than your longest training run is NOT adviseable... There is nothing to prove by walking a marathon. Do the distance you are prepared for, there are ALWAYS tons of races....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Duane1064
on 3/22/10 11:01 pm - Bloomington, IN
Dan, I'm kind of shocked and confused by your statement about nothing to prove by walking a marathon.  Are you saying that if you have to walk any part of it then it was a waste and you really didn't "run" a marathon?

I know that you should have a training run longer than 11 miles.  I've seen some suggesting 18 miles and or 20 miles.  I do agree that 11 miles is kind of lean for training.  You really should have longer training runs.  From what I've read, Jeff has been training quite a bit and isn't hurt or hurting.  With the excitement of the day he most likely will be able to run more than 11 miles. 

I would think that it's more detrimental to pull out totally or just run the half instead of completing the full marathon even if he has to walk some of it.   If you make the commitment then you should do your best to honor that commitment.  Also, I've seen you guys write about pushing past your comfort zones and breaking barriers but seems to me your advice to scale back is contradictory to what you've been saying to others.

I'm not trying to be confrontational.  I'm not trying to call you or anyone out.  I'm just seeking clarity because I know that Jeff will not be the only one to faces such issues.  I've not done a full marathon.  I don't have the experience that you and some of the others have.  I myself am looking at doing at least one full marathon this year and want to know what the best approach will be if I find that I'm in the same situation.

Duane

I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
mcarthur01
on 3/22/10 11:42 pm - Cumming, GA
it's a tough one and a fine line Duane.  I can tell you that without some serious base miles finishing a marathon will be pretty risky (risky as in injury).  I topped out at 20 miles and had at least another 4 15+ mile runs under my belt and still struggled with the marathon this past weekend.  can it be done?  yes.  but i would urge caution.  when i trained for the half, my longest run was 10 miles, it seems like jeff is trained properly for the half, and the full might be a stretch....  just my $0.02.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/23/10 12:51 am - Fort Worth, TX
Duane,

" Dan, I'm kind of shocked and confused by your statement about nothing to prove by walking a marathon.  Are you saying that if you have to walk any part of it then it was a waste and you really didn't "run" a marathon?"

THAT IS NOT what I am saying at ALL... Hell, I have been reduced to a walk in a marathon. There is a line that must be drawn between "Pushing Yourself", and being properly trained. The marathon distance is NO JOKE... If you have to walk it, then walk it, I just think that with a race 5 days away, and the longest run to date at 11 miles, FOR RIGHT NOW, the Half would be a smarter decision. My suggestion is not based on my brothers ability or "Will", or "Heart" to finish, because he is tough as nails, my opinion is strictly based on a desire to not see my brother injured and have a long healthy race season. I think a solid half marathon perofrmance would be a huge confidence builder, and when there is a bit more time to build base miles, he would destroy the marathon distance. A Half Marathon is still further than the longest training run to date and would require breaking through barriers, and personally, I would prefer to do the half, and have an awesome race, rather than suffer through a marathon that I was not prepared for, that's all bro. FYI... Typically people train for marathons for 4-5 months +.... Jeff decided to run this marathon less than a month ago... There is NO DOUBT that he could finish the marathon, all I am saying is, have an awesome half marathon, gain experience and confidence, then with a few more months to train, Nail a marathon. When I say there is nothing to prove, I mean that there are a TON of races this year, and plenty of time to build up and tackle the distance. I could decide to run a 50 mile race in 2 weeks if I choose, because I have a huge base built up, but going from a 10K distance, to trying to complete a marathon in 1 month's time could spell I-N-J-U-R-Y, and I don't want that for anyone, especially my brother.
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Duane1064
on 3/23/10 1:29 am - Bloomington, IN
Dan, thanks for the clarification.  That's the bad thing about communicating electronically.  You don't always know the tone or intent and it's hard to communicate quickly.  Still, it's better than nothing.

Like I'd said in my original reply to Jeff's question I don't want to see him nor anyone get hurt...especially this early in the season.  I know myself I could go sign up for a full marathon but I'd not be able to run it at this point and time.  I'd have to walk some of it.  I'm looking at doing my first full marathon in early November...if I stay healthy.

I totally respect the things that you and so many of the others who frequent this board have done.  You've all helped me greatly and I really appreciate all of your advice and guidance.  I think that whether it's a 5K or 100 mile Ultra everyone should be proud of what they have done and the lifestyle changes that they have made.

Duane     

Most Active