Training for a half marathon

larkinwelch
on 3/18/10 4:18 pm
I am training for a half marathon (13.1 miles) which will be April 11, 2010. Actually, I have been working out since 2 weeks after my surgery 7 months ago. So this is something that I have kinda been preparing for. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me for endurance and training. Right now I am at running 5 miles nonstop in an hour and four minutes. I am very proud of that! My goal is to fini****his is my first half marathon and I do want to  be successful. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

superconducting
on 3/18/10 10:03 pm - Montgomery, NY
 April 11th is pretty quick.  I am running one on April 2nd, and have been ramping my long run up a mile every week.  This week I ran 10 miles, which is generally where the experts say to train to before.  I followed Hal Hidgon's plan mostly   www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm   
Lots of info there as well as on this forum.

Seht
on 3/18/10 10:28 pm
Have you tried any longer runs, or is 5 miles the max you have run.
You should try increasing your distance each week between now and then, you don't have much time.  If you don't mind doing some walking you will be fine.  But running that distance without having come close to it before may be hard in the period of time you have left.

Make the experience fun!  Enjoy the experience and be proud that you are out there doing it.

Break up your run if you have to.  For example, every two miles allow yourself a walk break, if that isn't enough then shorten it to every mile, or every 2 minutes or whatever gets you through.  Or use telephone poles, walk to the next one, run to the next one, walk to the next one etc.

Make the experience fun!  Enjoy the experience and be proud that you are out there doing it.

At your pace you are looking at it taking over 3 hours to complete.  That's fine don't worry abut the time unless the race has a cutoff.  Enjoy the experience.

Don't start out too fast.  It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and take off with everyone else when the race starts.  Don't do it.  Keep to your own speed.

Remember to thank the people working the aid stations.  Most of them are probably volunteers.  They do appreciate you saying thanks when you get your cup of water or gatorade.

Congrats on the training and your goal.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/18/10 10:45 pm - Fort Worth, TX
If 5 miles is your max so far, you need to start taper in about 2-3 weeks so you should be able to increase your long run to 8-9 miles by then. From there you will be ok! Just have fun and enjoy the experience...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Scott William
on 3/18/10 11:51 pm
like Dan said, if you get up to a 9 mile long run, you will finish and accomplish your goal. I would definitely work in walk breaks of perhaps a minute for every 3 or 4 minutes of running. Google Jeff Galloway and he has some good run/walk programs. That last thing you want to do is injure yourself by over doing it. Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
larkinwelch
on 3/20/10 1:35 am
Thanks guys for all the helpful information! I am training hard and adding miles every other day. I will take your suggestion of having fun and taking walk breaks! I will keep you posted on my progress and I work toward getting in 10 miles during training! 
Thanks for your support!

larkinwelch
on 3/30/10 5:46 am
Well I got in a long run this weekend! I did 9 miles in 1 hour and 50 minutes. I really think I'm ready now. I felt good afterwards and felt like I could go longer. I just quit cause it was getting dark. So thanks for the tips. What do you think of the energy jellybeans and where do I get them to eat during the race? Do you think they will be at the expo?
Thanks!
Lisa

Most Active