Do you think it's o.k. for an aerobics instructor be obese?

Liaazul
on 3/19/10 1:44 am - MD
This has been bugging me a bit.

I was planning to take some group aerobics classes at my gym, until I took a peak and saw that the instructor was obese with a massive big belly and gave up.

I felt funny about it, like... I wouldn't take his instruction seriously because apparently it's not working out for himself. (<-- this sounds awful, doesn't it?)

On the other hand I feel like betraying the old me by having these pre-conceptions and stereotypes that a gym instructor should look prime and fit. I do know that the old me would never have the strength to do it, and in a way I wonder how he does it, and sort of admire him for the effort.

The thing is I seriously had never seen an obese gym instructor before. I've seen bulky weight lifters, but not obese.

His class was full, so I assume he's a great professional.

Do you think I'm being obnoxious and mean for such thoughts?
Height 5'5" -- HW 273/SW 269/CW159/1st Goal 169(Achieved!)/2nd Goal 150 (Normal BMI)  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Shannon D.
on 3/19/10 1:58 am
Maybe he used to be REALLY big and is losing weight by exercising and doing/teaching aerobics?

P.S. I would have reacted exactly as you did, but reading it instead of experiencing it first hand I thought of another alternative.

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Liaazul
on 3/19/10 10:14 am - MD
That's a possibility I had not considered, Shannon. He could have been much much bigger and is now just obese. If that's the case, I'd surely change my opinion.
Height 5'5" -- HW 273/SW 269/CW159/1st Goal 169(Achieved!)/2nd Goal 150 (Normal BMI)  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

panhead58fl
on 3/19/10 4:32 am - Barboursville, WV

This question reminded me of an article I read about being fit and fat. Here is a link to it, http://archives.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/diet.fitness/07/18/fat.f it/index.html, I also remember watching a program on TV several years ago about a guy that was a "revenuer" going through the woods looking for stills. The guys he had chased down talked about how they thought they could out run this fat guy that was chasing them. He would literally run them down to where they could go no farther. They said he ran them for miles. He was obese but fit. I have often wondered about having an obese Surgeon General Of The United States.

pan head

Liaazul
on 3/19/10 10:13 am - MD
There are people that are big and mostly full of muscles. I didn't know the Surgeon General of the U.S. is obese... interesting.

MoLawEd
on 3/22/10 2:51 am - Cambridge, MA

Having RNY was probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Approx highest weight: ~350. Highest measured weight: 338. Surgery weight: 297. Lowest weight (for 5 minutes): 169. Current weight: 209. Goal weight: ??? - maybe 180-185, which was my maintenance weight before the regain.

superconducting
on 3/19/10 6:53 am - Montgomery, NY
 nothing motivates me more than when a guy with a bigger gut than mine runs by me in the 5k.  (heck my last 5k I was doing my best not to let a 9 year old girl smoke me :)  )

I'd at least try out the class - how motivated would you be if the leader with the big gut seriously kicked your butt?  

Liaazul
on 3/19/10 10:11 am - MD
You're right Andrew. I'm absolutely sure that he has much more resistance than I do. Still, gym instructors are kind of role models... you look at their fitness wishing you could replicate it.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/19/10 9:55 am - Fort Worth, TX
It's ok to be skeptical, just not mean or stereotypical...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Liaazul
on 3/19/10 10:09 am - MD
Dan, I think you summarized my feelings well. I think I'm more skeptical on what he's teaching than anything.

Most Active