Don't let this be you!

Linn D.
on 3/19/10 9:54 am - Missoula, MT
Hi guys!

Aside from being super busy with work and school, I also recently was at an annual meeting.  Talk about one tired girl (we'll get back to that).

Anyway, I'd been having headaches, and one that lasted for over 3 weeks.  Bad news.  Finally went to the doc about them and as I was there, he looked me over and also discussed how long it had been since I had blood work done.  I'd also been feeling pretty tired (NOT like me).  So, orders were sent to the lab for general wellness and thyroid.  Two weeks later I finally got around to making it back to that part of town in the morning.  Just on a whim, I asked to be checked for B12 as well.

My doctor called me last night.  I am anemic and also have severely low B12 levels.  (Low B12 also causes anemia).  I'll be starting on daily shots next week.  The sublingual I was taking wasn't getting absorbed enough.  I thought I was doing all the right things (and I was as far as I knew) but not getting annual blood tests is a BAD idea.

Lesson learned:  be proactive about your follow-ups.   Don't assume everything is okay because you're doing everything right.  GET THOSE ANNUAL BLOOD TESTS DONE!

Linn
Kathy P.
on 3/19/10 11:42 am - Port Orchard, WA
Good reminder for all of us Linn!  hope you start to feel "peppy" again very soon!

Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
niffer1283
on 3/19/10 7:37 pm - Richmond, IN
Gee whiz, no wonder you were feeling tired! I've used the injections since surgery. They're cheap, and the pharmacist told me that injectable B12 is better absorbed than the sublingual. Good luck to you!

Jenny
He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue. ~~ Benjamin Franklin

RNY 05/29/2008
http://www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

mcarthur01
on 3/20/10 2:46 am - Cumming, GA
this sounds familiar :)  i have low b-12 and slight anemia as well, my dr. called me up after my last round of bloodwork in the fall and prescribed me more red meat ;)
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

SuziJones
on 3/20/10 9:27 am
Thanks for sharing sweety!! great info and great advice!
I hope you start feeling more energized soon!
Best wishes and healing prayers to you!
*big hugs*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
Rob S.
on 3/20/10 11:12 am - DE
And as you age you need to do them twice a year!  I still have myh labs go to my surgeon and primary physician.  My B levels have always been above average (although I do supplment with B complex and B-12), but I just found out I needed to increase my vitamin D.  The problem with malabsorption is that once you start getting the symptom, it is usually not just increasing your vitamins.  They are finding several cases of dibilitating problems occuring with RNY patients more than five years out who have lapsed on their vitamins.  Not good, but at least you got your wake up call.  Now maybe you'll get some addtional energy.  Good luck to you.
Rob
Linn D.
on 3/20/10 11:59 am - Missoula, MT
Thanks everyone.

I was wondering if I'd lost my mind!  School has been soooo much harder lately.  I'm glad I have an answer and will continue to use the shots as the sublingual evidently wasn't working for me.

Linn 
Most Active