Kinesio tape

Seht
on 3/18/10 2:59 am
OMG this stuff is wonderful.
I have been having some knee and shin pain recently.
It was recommended to give the Kinesio tape a try. 
I was skeptical at first.  A little bit of tape helping come on.
Well after my own small unscientific testing, I'd have to say it works.
3 consecutive days of running.
Day 1 with the tape 3 mile run no pain.
Day 2 without the tap my leg was killing me. I wanted to quit after a mile, no bueno.
Day 3 with tape applied again, 4.5 miles no pain, leg felt supported.  Good stuff.

I have tried both Kinesio brand and Rock Tape, they both seem to work equally well.
My next test will be to leave the stuff on for a couple days as they say it is waterproof and capable of being worn for consecutive days.

Lessons learned.
1.  having the tape pull the hair off yor leg isn't so bad on the shins, but the back of your leg hurts like a mo-fo
2.  shaving your legs so you don't experience the hair pulling again isn't so bad, but it takes much longer than I would have thought.
3.  I obviously need to do a better job of shaving the back of the leg, becuase of course the tape found the area of my leg that still had enough hair on it to bring a little tear of joy when I pulled it off.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

superconducting
on 3/18/10 3:43 am - Montgomery, NY
 Is there a specific way you use it - did you figure it out yourself from the manual?

Seht
on 3/18/10 3:49 am
The Rock tape came with a little pamphlet,
Both Rock tape and Kinesio tape have videos available on their web sites and on youtube.
I jus****ched a couple different videos and figured I'd give it a try.

I did go see the Physical therapist, but he had no idea on the specific taping methods and the P.T. on staff that knew how to tape was not on duty that day.  So I was forced to go back to the videos.

It's pretty easy.

What I am doing is a strip that runs down the length of the shin where it hurts.  2 pieces that support the kneee and then 2 pieces that wrap around the calf and the upper leg.  It's like making a neoprene brace out of the tape.
I basically created a version of these two methods rolled into one.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rock+tape+shin+splints&search_type=&aq=f

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rock+tape+runners+knee&search_type=&aq=f

Katie H.
on 3/18/10 3:59 am - Charlton, MA
where do you guys find this magic tape? i'm intrigued...

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

puddin2day
on 3/18/10 5:26 am - Los Angeles, CA
Big 5 Sporting Goods sells the tape.
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Seht
on 3/18/10 4:02 am
My wife works at a medical supply company, but you can find it online I have seen bulk purchases available on ebay.
I think you can order the Rock Tape right from the manufacturer.

Scott

puddin2day
on 3/18/10 5:34 am - Los Angeles, CA
OMG, that stuff is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would get on any mountain top and scream the praises of this stuff.  I was so happy after the Pasadena Half, that I had written an e-mail to the company (KT). I had no problems with my plantar facisitis at all; it is like the tape created an arch under my foot.

It is true that you can wear it for multiple days and that it is waterproof.  I can wear it for a good 5 days straight.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Sue M.
on 3/18/10 6:05 am - Nantucket, MA
shaving is a *****  just saying. 

Be glad you aren't have quad/glutes issues.  that's painful tape to rip off!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Rob S.
on 3/18/10 11:08 am - DE
I have been using the Spider tape for just over a month now.  My Chiroprator applies it, gives me accupunture for the plantar facitis, electrical stimulus for the calves, and hip adjustment.  He has taped up my knee on one leg, and my foot and calf on the other leg.  The stuff is great and I have been able to run successfully for the last three weeks.  All this for $20 a session.  I am a believer.
Rob
Most Active