post long run meal

superconducting
on 3/16/10 9:38 pm - Montgomery, NY
Wondering what you all do after long runs for food, specifically?  I need to get a routine.  I have been just doing a protein shake with a banana and maybe a spoon of almond butter, but it seems like I should have more carbs after the long runs, trying to figure out how to do that (it needs to be totally easy since after the long run I might as well be a zombie).

Yesterday I was so out of it, I made a quick smoothee with some of the kid's sugary yogurt and some protein powder.. tasted good, but my body hates the simple sugars right now...

Seht
on 3/17/10 12:00 am
Just read an article on shakes.  BTW I have a huge recipe book compiled from O.H. here that one of the guys put together.  It is page after page of protein shake recipes if you want it send me a pm and I'll email you a copy.

Anyhow this article recommended adding a frozen vegetable  broccoli, or carrots to get some fiber and the vitamins to your smoothie as well as some fiber or some nuts.  Basically they liquify a meal.

My favorite if fage 0% greek yogurt, it is high in protein low in carbs, add my protein powder, some frozen fruit like blueberries, a little water, and maybe some peanut butter or part of a banana.  I'm going to try the frozen veggie instead of ice.  I use the Torani or Davinci sugar free syrup to flavor it.

People argue 4:1 or 3:1 ratio for carb to protein post workout.  I don't think it really matters at that point.  Neither one seems to be better or worse for me.

If you are really tired and can't get that stuff together, cliff bars are almost 4:1 ration and chocolate milk is actually pretty close also.  So if you aren't going to be able to eat with 60 minutes of your workout those are quick and easy to have or take with you. 

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

superconducting
on 3/17/10 1:30 am - Montgomery, NY
 thats a great idea (frozen veggies).  I know one guy I saw does frozen bananas instead of ice too.  I like the *****oo.  I'm thinking of trying frozen carrots.. sounds crazy enough to work?   Thanks for that idea.

Seht
on 3/17/10 1:41 am
Yeah the article I was reading said that when the veggies are frozen it reduces the flavor so you don't have to worry about having a broccoli flavored protein drink.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Fit_Mama
on 3/17/10 8:17 am
Actually, what you are doing sounds right. If you want more carbs, try to consume them with protein about an hour before your long run. Put a LITTLE bit of energy drink into your water to keep your energy up throughout the run. You could also do apple juice. Maybe 1:10 ration of juice to water in your bottle.
Most Active