CLIFF BARS & PURE PROTEIN BARS

Kathy P.
on 3/15/10 1:41 pm - Port Orchard, WA

Hello all-

So now that I am working on increasing the distance of my runs, and planning a 10K in April and June, and a Half by end of the year, I have a question about re-fueling.

I see people use CLIFF bars. They have a great deal of sugar (some 25 to 30g.).  If you are a dumper, do these make you dump?  

For a protein bar, I use Pure Protein, with 2 g. sugar and 20 g. protein.  But from what I hear, the carbs, etc. in CLIFF bars are better for fueling during a long run/race. The sugar/molasses/ etc. as the first few ingredients kind of freak me out a bit.

Your thoughts, experiences, suggestions appreciated!

Kathy

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/15/10 1:51 pm - Fort Worth, TX
I eat Cliff bars all the time! Chocloate Brownie is the BEST!!!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 3/15/10 4:13 pm
I eat them both without a problem.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Kathy P.
on 3/15/10 5:23 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Okay! Thanks gents! I did see the Cliff chocolate brownie bar. Looked yummy! I'm going to go ahead and try a couple next weekend after or during a couple of runs to re-fuel. Hopefully I won't dump (I've only dumped twice. First time on Ivars Clam Chowder - which if you live in the Pac. NW, you know how devestating that can be! - too much fat I am assuming. Second time was on dried prunes - maybe too much concentrated sugar or coincidence. No telling.)

Definately will try the Cliff brownie!

Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/15/10 11:01 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Also, there is a big difference between just throwing up and dumping. I throw up dry chicken and turkey, but don't feel like I am dumping. I have dumped 1 time since surgery, and IT IS ABSOLUTE MISERY...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 3/16/10 4:08 am
Amazing clam choweder did that to me too, and it's one of my absolute favorites.  It's probably because it's so rich.  I have tried it twice with the same results both times.

Now I'm limited to a spoonful that my son is willing to share with me.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

niffer1283
on 3/15/10 9:22 pm - Richmond, IN
I've never tried a Cliff bar, but I'm munchin' on a Pure Protein bar right now. Love those things, and I like the numbers better.

Jenny
He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue. ~~ Benjamin Franklin

RNY 05/29/2008
http://www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

Duane1064
on 3/15/10 9:34 pm - Bloomington, IN
You also do half an english muffin with peanut butter or something like that.  I use the Pure Protein bars too.  Occasionally I'll do the Cliff Bars, they're very good.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
superconducting
on 3/15/10 11:34 pm - Montgomery, NY
 I have been experimenting with the GU Energy Gel, the chocolate outrage is pretty good and it seemed to work well for me..  100 calories and 6 sugars.  Course I'm a bander, so my fear on bars is more getting stuck in the middle of a race (which would majorly suck).

wjoegreen
on 3/16/10 12:39 am - Colonial Heights, VA
I am a Pure Protein aholic but my experience is protein for recovery and feeding muscles post race.  Carbs for pre-race and race fuel. 

I have also had success with the sports beans because I can regulate 1 or 2 at a time and they give me a little boost the body can readily burn while on a longer run.  And I like they are easier and less messy to handle during a run than the gels.  Geesh those gel things are sticky if you get them on your hands.

Thats my 2 cents,..hope it helps.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active