I'm struggling mentally, emotionally, and physically:(

KittenLove
on 3/13/10 10:23 am, edited 3/13/10 10:24 am - Around Knoxville, TN
My first half is in 2 weeks and I must say, I can't wait for it to be over. I've lost my focus..my longest run has been 10 miles and I pray it's enough..I love Cassie's siggy of Running for the Fun of It b/c while I want to keep 5-6 mile runs as part of my exercise routine I'm putting too much stress on all this. I just can't seem to get it done--this morning (yes I had good breakfast)and when I couldn't get pack 4 miles I teared up. What is wrong with me?

I've found myself grazing more and while I haven't gained any I'm resolving to get back on the straight and narrow to avoid any gain.

Am I the only one who experiences "mental block" when running? Am I normal? What can I do to maximize these final two weeks?

Be happy. 

Seht
on 3/13/10 10:51 am
Stop stressing, relad and try to enjoy your race.  If you can do 10 miles on a training run you will do 13 during the race. 
The food issue is a slippery slope.  I think that with increased exercise you see increased hunger.  Add the stress you are putting on yourself, grazing is likely to happen, food has probably always been a comfort item for you.  I know it was for me, happy=food, sad=food, mad=food, it was almost like a mood leveling drug.
Do your runs, go as far as you can.  No need to put extra stress on yourself.  After your half marathon, take a couple days to rest and recover.  Then find a new goal or focal point to help you keep focused on your goals.

Think about all that you have accomplished, and how far you have come.  You can and will be successful.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Cassie W.
on 3/13/10 11:40 am
The best thing you can do to maximize these final two weeks is to realize that your training is really done now.    You can just run for the fun of it because you've already put in all the hard work.   

When we follow a training plan, we tend to put extra pressure on ourselves because we want the big payoff of all those training hours.  We don't want to jeopardize the outcome.  But, rest assured that 10-mile long run is plenty for you to reach the finish line.  Don't try to play "catch up" on runs that you may have cut short.   

Some ideas to get passed the mental block:  add some new tunes to your playlist, schedule a couple of runs with other people at a conversational pace, run a different route.  As you taper and have a little bit more time on your hands, spend the time with friends or family or tackle projects that may be nagging at you.  By keeping yourself occupied, you'll be less likely to graze.

Think positive thoughts and have fun!  You're about to run a half marathon because you've worked hard. 

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

mcarthur01
on 3/13/10 11:32 pm - Cumming, GA
when i was training for my first half, i topped out at one 10 mile run (on the treadmill) and had absolutely no issues with the race or my fitness level.  you are ready.  one word of advice, run a smart race and try not to get pulled into going out too fast.  you've already put in the work, now is the time to enjoy yourself!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

superconducting
on 3/13/10 11:46 pm - Montgomery, NY
 I am with you too - I don't know what training plan you are using, but generally I run long on sunday, and the run Tues, Wed and Thurs, increasing as we get closer.  So last week, I ran about 9.4 on Sunday, 3 on Tues, 5 on Wed and 5 on Thurs, lifted on Tues, Wed and Friday.  

I don't know if yours is similar, but I can tell you my mental states on Saturdays is awful.  I am completely wore out, ornery as heck and constantly doubting.  Its gotten worse as the runs have gotten longer.. at this point, my wife knows not to come near me on Saturdays :) .    I'm thinking of cutting back on the weight lifting until after the half.

Kathy P.
on 3/14/10 7:16 am, edited 3/14/10 7:16 am - Port Orchard, WA
Well, being a "fairly new" runner, nothing to add to the above, except to let you know that I enjoy and appreciate your posts. You, as well as the others, are very inspirational to me. I know I will get mental blocks, head hunger, etc etc etc. But, I am really REALLY liking being AN ATHLETE!  So, again, thank you...and I  cannot wait to read your amazing posting about your Half in a couple of weeks!

Hang in there, Hugs,
Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
Duane1064
on 3/14/10 11:23 am - Bloomington, IN
 Don't stress out.  Relax and enjoy it.  Come race day you'll be able to go the distance.  If you have to walk some of it then walk some of it.  No big deal.  After it's done you'll be so proud of yourself.

As for grazing. Are you really grazing? I was afraid that I was starting to do that but when I talked to the Surgeon and Nutritionists they said that I wasn't grazing at all.  What I was doing was eating something about evey three hours.  They actually encouraged me to keep doing that.  They also said that with as much exercise that I'm doing I needed to up my caloric intake.  When I go through spells where I'm not as physically active I back down on my calories.  Remember to take in plenty of protein and liquids.
Good luck and good health,
Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
MacMadame
on 3/14/10 5:22 pm - Northern, CA
You might be overtraining.... yes, you can overtrain when you train less than people say you should.

I had only done 10 miles when I did my Half. And I did my ten miles several months before. I just did a lot of speed work and medium length runs (6.5 to 7.5 miles) beforehand and I was fine. You will be too.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active