My first 5k today

Andrea_1972
on 3/13/10 11:32 am - WA

I ran my first 5k today at the Army base. This was the first time I have ever, I repeat EVER! ran with other people. I am still very insecure about my speed and blah, blah, blah..... 

So many people, such a small road, LOL. I picked out people along the way that I wanted to pass and I did, lots of them .

When I have been doing my 5ks here around town , it takes me between 40(good day) and 45(not so good day) to finish them.

Today I did it in 31:21. Holy cow! I could not believe that running on the pace of others made such a difference. On the way to the finish line I actually stopped to hug my son, so maybe it could have been a bit faster(who knows)
The woman in my age group who cane in 3rd, ran it in 29:52 and I was not that far from her. I am just so happy that I beat my personal time and it felt awsome.

I had been battling some serious demons for the past 3 weeks. I almost did not go today, but I went and put one foot in front of the other.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/13/10 11:48 am - Fort Worth, TX
Way to go!!! Great job today...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

merowassa
on 3/13/10 11:59 am
I'm so inspired by your post!  I'm registered for my first 5K next Sunday and I have a totally irrational fear that I won't be able to fini**** or that I will finish last or that other people will judge me for being too slow....the list goes on and on.  I've been jogging three miles three times a week for about three months, so these fears seem kind of dumb when I really think about them.  It's good to know that I'm not the only one who is insecure about this stuff.  You did such a great job today; I'll try to remember your success when I get nervous next weekend!
jennifer68
on 3/13/10 10:08 pm - MA
Way to go!! I walked my first 5k last year and thought I was going to die. I couldn't imagine running one! You did awesome.
Katie H.
on 3/13/10 11:02 pm - Charlton, MA
Congratulations!!  That's an awesome time, nice work!!!!  I find that I run faster with other people than when I run by myself - it's nice to have someone to push you (whether they know it or not).  Again, congrats on what is sure to be your first of many races to come!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

mcarthur01
on 3/13/10 11:34 pm - Cumming, GA
congrats!  that is an incredible improvement over your training times.... way to go :)
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

morgansmommy
on 3/14/10 12:25 am - Gig Harbor, WA
Congratulations!
Mary
Most Active