Knee question

SuziJones
on 3/12/10 12:02 am
I've been working the C25K program as some of you know and since Monday I have noticed my knees hurting when I have been going up my stairs, just going up them.

My question is am I maybe pushing too hard with the jogging/walking program carrying around 245lbs still? I would hate to mess up my knees and have to wait even longer. My knees have never hurt me or been an issue before. Of course I have never JOGGED weighting 246ish pounds before either! So...advice, comments please!!

Wondering if at the very least I should get a brace. It is both knees going up stairs specifically.

Thanks guys!! You all have been soo inspiring!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
Scott William
on 3/12/10 12:22 am
Sounds like they are a bit pissed at you right now. They have been on light duty for a bunch or years and now you are asking a bit of them. Sounds to me like you need to either ease into it a bit more slowly than you are or do some knee strengthening exercises like leg extensions and single leg presses. You can also do one leg mini squats off a 6" platform. Stand on something about 6" high while one foot dangles. squat until your dangling foot hits the ground. Start with three sets of 15 and go up to 30 after 4-5 days of doing it. If you have the means, go find a physical therapist and they can show you what to do and how to do it.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/12/10 12:22 am - Fort Worth, TX
Sounds like an IT Band issue to me... How is your stretching? Work on stretching your Glutes, hamstring, and flexors....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

SuziJones
on 3/12/10 12:46 am
I have only done the brisk walk that the C25K program suggests before you start the walking/jogging intervals.

I will do the min squats daily and if there are any other type of stretching that you guys think should be done before I start my jogging please let me know!

Thanks again for your replies!!
*big thankful hugs*
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

GordonGirl
on 3/12/10 7:56 am - SoCal, CA
I am a year out and 95lbs lighter, but about six months ago I too started having knee pain. Never while I ran, but after (with swelling) and especially going up stairs. After a bit of research and a visit to the orthopedist it was thought I had a "patella tracking disorder". Big name for sore knees, but knees that didn't track as they should. The RX was and still is quad,gluts and other knee strengthening exercises. I also wear a knee "brace" not so much for support, but to help my knee cap track a bit better. The result...no more pain and I can continue running 4-5 miles at least 5x per week. Yippee! I'm hoping soon not to need the knee braces.
SuziJones
on 3/12/10 9:19 am
On March 12, 2010 at 3:56 PM Pacific Time, GordonGirl wrote:
I am a year out and 95lbs lighter, but about six months ago I too started having knee pain. Never while I ran, but after (with swelling) and especially going up stairs. After a bit of research and a visit to the orthopedist it was thought I had a "patella tracking disorder". Big name for sore knees, but knees that didn't track as they should. The RX was and still is quad,gluts and other knee strengthening exercises. I also wear a knee "brace" not so much for support, but to help my knee cap track a bit better. The result...no more pain and I can continue running 4-5 miles at least 5x per week. Yippee! I'm hoping soon not to need the knee braces.
Thank you soo much for posting!

What specific stretches did they suggest? I researched glute and hip flexor stretchs along with the mini squats that another poster suggested.
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K

Kathy P.
on 3/12/10 10:50 am - Port Orchard, WA
a couple of months ago I posted similar. Here is the advise that I followed:

Warm up a bit, brisk walk. Stretch quads, hams, calves, hip flexors.
Pay attention to my posture and footing.
Awesome shoes (which I already had).
After my run, I stretch again, about 15 to 25 minutes. Hams, Quads, Calves, Hip Flexors.
I also ice my knee, just above the knee cap area, to reduce inflamation.

I really have to watch my posture going up hills. I make sure to shorten my stride and over exaggerate my arms to carry me up and over.

You may want to consult with a PT or your PCP at least to make sure you don't do some major damage. I still get the pain in my left knee at times, but I baby it and in a day or so I'm all good.

Take Care!!!!
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
MacMadame
on 3/12/10 3:52 pm - Northern, CA
Knee problems are almost always about form. Make sure you get your running shoes from a good running store that knows how to fit you and then have someone knowledgeable critique your form. You should be landing with your feet under you and not in front of you, for example.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

SuziJones
on 3/13/10 12:42 am
Wow...so much to think of! hehe
Thank you all for responding! I just went out and started jogging. hehe

Totally doing the stretches and watching my posture. I have some really good shoes (my husband is a runner and instisted on them). I guess I'll have to ask my husband to help me with my form.

Thank you all again!!
*big thankful hugs to you*
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K

Alidre
on 3/17/10 5:13 am - Van Nuys, CA
I have always had bad knees, so I don't know about what could cause your pain, but to follow what everyone else said with the stretching and warming up bit, I have always used Aleve (or any anti-inflammatory that works for you**** and elevation when they act up. If you hurt more after that, or want warmth, you could take a hot bath with some epsom salts or get some heating pads for your knee to alternate with the ice.

I am impressed with you going out there and jogging! I am 6 weeks post op and am starting to feel like I just want to exercise like mad, so I get the "I just went out and started jogging" feeling :)

Good Luck!
Most Active