exercising with arthritis

redbedhead
on 3/10/10 11:08 am - Colorado Springs, CO
I have severe arthritis in my knees and hips.  Recently the arthritis has been really acting up.  Other than water (Massive fear of water) what can I do to maintaing my cardio and weight training schedule, when the arthritis is acting up? 

I currently do treadmill for 60 minutes 5 days a week, and weights alternating upper and lower body (with a personal trainer, he is great about scaling things back on my bad days) 3 days a week.

Anna   
RNY 10/14/08 LBL 6/14/11    135 pounds lost, after bounceback regain.  And I am OK with that.  It enabled me to have double hip double knee replacements in the 9 month periond between Oct 2011 and June 2012.  

wjoegreen
on 3/11/10 12:56 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
There are supplements that help alittle. I have a touch in my hip and it is painful to get started but once I get goign I feel good.  The when I sit and try to get upa dn going again, I get all stiff again.  I'm guessing your is more advanced than mine so I admire your tenacity to get through what you've already shared.  My daughter has it in hers kness and finds an elliptical less painful than running on a treadmill or exercise bike, but swimming and water walking is her true friend.  Anything that gets your heart pumping is cardio , even if it is upper body, calistetics, pushups, situps, leg lifts, dips, reverse dips (start up and lower yourself slowly or just hold yourself up as long as possible), Stomach curls (like a dip only hold yourself in the up position and raise your knees up as high as possible and lower back to straight; really burns the lower abs), ilow weights high reps weightlifting.  Hope that helps. It all I can think of that might work for you.  Hang in there redbedhead. You sound amazing.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active